Alton Alternator- Podtronics regulator???

1660bob

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi All, looking on the Coventry Spares Vincent website, there is reference to Alton Alternators now being supplied with a Podtronics regulator that is supposed to stop the battery running down when the bike is left standing. I have a shiny new Alton awaiting fitting,bought about 3/4 years ago that has a five wire regulator- green/pink/black/yellow/red. I assume that my Alton is of the type that will run down the battery whilststood (unless a switch is fitted) The Podtronics regulator on the Coventry site has only three wires.The diagram shown appears to be an Alton publication so i assume new ones are thus equipped nowadays.Obvious question- will my alton benefit from updating to the Podtronics regulator-will it be compatible?-What`s the accepted wisdom?, Bob `C`.

Mark Fisher

Non-VOC Member
Definitely use the podtronics regulator. The ones that normally come with the Alton will overcharge the battery and allow it to go flat over a few days....been there done that twice!
mark

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Is your Alton one of the ill fated 3 phase units? Judging by the number of wires on the reg, it sounds likely that it is. The paperwork that came with it should identify which type it is.

Glen

davidd

VOC Member
Glen,

I think Mark had a three phase on his Egli, but he has a newer Alton on his Shadow. He may have updated the Egli.

I would talk to John at Coventry. I know someone who has some Altons on the shelf and he bought several from John. The price is very reasonable as I remember. I think it is best to call John at lunch or before. They are often in a rush in the afternoon getting orders shipped.

David

Mark Fisher

Non-VOC Member
David, I think maybe than Glen was asking 1660 bob what kid of alton he has not me. For the record both my shadow and my Egli have the newest type of direct drive single phase altons. I did update the Egli about a year ago from one of the early (2001) direct drive single phase units simply because i'm running 4 plugs, plus coils, plus boyer ignition and a grosset starter which was a bit too much in traffic at night for the unit. I did have a 3 phase on my thruxton but it was useless. When i upgraded the egli it came with a regulator that looks a bit like the podronics but with an extra wire, plus instructions on how to use this wire. However it consistently overcharged the battery and drained it when not in use. I fitted a podronics unit....end of problems. My shadow always did have a podronics unit so no problems with charging etc, I've had issues with the drive gear but thats another story. I'm pretty sure that John at coventry spares will only supply an alton with a podronics unit (unless of course you already have one) and he knows what he is doing. Hope this is helpful.
mark

davidd

VOC Member
Sorry gents, Mark is right. At least I remembered the details of your bikes reasonably well!

David

1660bob

VOC Member
Hi, I bought the alternator from the VOC in Feb 2007! FIVE years ago: These re-builds take longer than you think!! It was ordered at the time direct from Alton, and I had to wait a short while, so would not have been old stock.There is nothing on the paperwork to suggest its a three phase unit- or otherwise- simply multiple warnings about damage if run without a well charged battery.The serial no. is VT5159 if that means anything to anyone? I think an enquiry with Alton themelves to see what it is and if they recommend changing to a Podtronics reg. is the way forward.... Bob.Incidentally- just looked again- just two black wires come out of the alternator itself- would this denote it as a single phase unit?

Last edited:

Mark Fisher

Non-VOC Member
Bruce is correct about the wires, you have a single phase which is good. Unfortunately because you got it in 2007 you may have the type with an internal gear that speeds up the alternator part to to give more charge at low RPM, this model is prone to failure if you ride the bike hard or miss a gear. It will work if you ride very gently though, basically the internal nylon gear can't cope with the loadings caused by sudden changes in engine speeds and strips its teeth. The later ones did away with this system and work well. Also I will re-state, that from experience in actual road use, the podtronic is without doubt the way to go.
good luck
mark

Last edited: