Alternators

Dave Jackson

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
During a long touring holiday this summer in France, my bike developed an intermittant short circuit which I have narrowed down to the Alton alternator. Its about 12 years old, and must be one of the earliest generation of Alton products, so I'm resigned to having to spend money replacing it unless otherwise advised.
My options are 1) send it off to France for fixing 2) buy the latest Alton or 3) go for an upgrade like the Macdougalator.
I've heard great things about the latter, but can't seem to get hold of him. So any general advice or experience appreciated, plus contact details for John Macdougal.
thanks
Dave

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello Dave, I have a Macdougalator, It's a good bit of kit but not cheap and not easy to fit. If I had my time again I would go for a Walkernator, Very well made by Norman ie "Timetraveller". I have one for my Comet but not fitted it yet. I thought it might be another option. Good Luck Bill.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Dear Dave,
I can't comment on how easy it is to fit a McDougalator but I can comment on the alternator kit that Norman Walker supplied to me. I fitted it to my Vincent twin about 18 months ago and it has supplied me with a trouble free surplus of electric power for lighting, sat nav, heated gloves etc over the last 16,000 or so miles.

Hello Dave, I have a Macdougalator, It's a good bit of kit but not cheap and not easy to fit. If I had my time again I would go for a Walkernator, Very well made by Norman ie "Timetraveller". I have one for my Comet but not fitted it yet. I thought it might be another option. Good Luck Bill.

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
I have one of the newer Alton units and am very happy with it..and my wife likes that the headlights are now bright enough to see by as opposed to be seen by.