Alternators, brakes...

Bazlerker

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I don't run a side car... I do ride too fast, I do like to "bait" harley riders into a race and my brakes ( or lack thereof..) have scared the beejesus out of me many times..
Money, Thank god is not the issue...as the cost difference between all of the alternator "solutions" is not that great..

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
brakes-or lack of

before spending large lumps of your hard-earnt, a word of caution. consider that the ammount of retardation afforded is governed by the ammount of grip available from the poor old tyre! Lock-up is a very easy way to "chuck it up the road".I tend to think period tyres, period brakes.Your vin, like mine ,is fast approaching sixty years old .Does it really need the extra stresses and strains that yor dream brakes will impose upon it. p.s. harleys also have piss poor brakes. It's those blasted ducati's Ihave trouble with. You could do worse than go to you local voc section meeting and ask the guys there .They will own a selection of machines and have experience of your quest. Be lucky Roy.:)

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
Although there are several Vincents where I live ( 9..), only one, apart from mine is ridden...the closest section is about 500 miles away...

your points about the stresses of braking on a machine as old I am are well made....My greatest fear is that the amount of my hair that has changed to grey increases with every ride - and I have precious little left that isn't grey..so i am fighting to save it. I think that the real problem is that my standard brakes are not performing up to even their feeble spec.
So you see, the problem is testosterone poisoning which affects my right hand in such a way as to increase the throttle opening beyond what is reasonable, combined with poor brakes...

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
brakes-or lack of

I neglected to check your location, 500 miles is too far to go to chew the fat. Personally I run aluminium[fake] lightning brakes with am4 linings and standard drums. I figure thats about as good as drums get. At least the tyre will squeal in panic mode. I regularly go to the local [10miles] meetings. Will do some research if you wish, and report according. Regards Roy.

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
Aluminum backing plates is one option that I am seriously considering...The Dutch backing plates are another, I know that the brakes on my beast are capable of far better performance than they are currently providing and either system would be a serious upgrade - and might well compensate for my reduced age induced reaction time.
All of this will have to wait until spring..my garage is unheated and the temps here can reach -50 in the dead of winter.
My transmission is leaking oil - either through one of the seals..or the joint between the 2 halves of the cranckcase..The generator works, but due to some mystery inside the wiring - none of the charge reaches anything on the bike - battery, lights...and the beast needs its tank and fenders repainted..So you see I am looking at a general rejuvenation....

vapide

Non-VOC Member
If original appearance is less a concern than price, you can cobble up a set of disks that won't look TOO bad, for only $100 or so (using used eBay parts), and have braking that will probably far exceeds either the new club 8" brakes or the dutch 4LS, both which are lovely but pricey. And the installation will be totally reversible, for when it come time to send your machine to Bonhams and cash out.

As to electrics, I find all of them either too little (marginal watts and reliablity) or too much (more watts than I need, big ugly installation, and high price). I keep wishing someone would come up with something in between, like the Chinamo was - say, an updated dynamo or premium armature and coil to go in the Luca or Miller dynamo body, and a premium quality electronic regulator. Most of us don't need 120-200 watts, but would be happy with 50-60 - if they were dead reliable.

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
I am, unfortunately rather too attached to a "stock" look....and I have the perfect antidote to bonhams - my son is named Vincent..and so the beast, hopefully, will go from me to my son, just as it went from my father to me...thereby solving the dilemma of over-priced vincents going to ****ers who polish but rarely ride, have never seen the ton, and are owned by owners rather than riders...
I rode the last 100 miles in the dark to the michigan rally - pitch black night..70 mph..no lights.."building memories.."....and I am still torn as to what to do about a suitable replacement for the miller generator that lurks inside the beast..

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Altons seem to be the most stock-appearing set-up, but the Kubotas are hard to spot unless you look for it.

Ken Tidswell

VOC Member
brakes

You can have good brakes by having the linings turned to fit the drums, The modern compettion linings are as good as AM4 was and still is, if . you have a lifetimes supply. Enough suppliers advertise these services. But it will cost

bmetcalf

VOC Member
It is pretty cheap here in the US to get the linings turned to the drum ID. Truck clutch and brake shops are set up to do it and can accommodate our type of shoe pivots and floating pivots.