Alternators, brakes...

indianken

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
MrKen: ah yes, a dilemma to salivate over for mere working stiff mortals like me self, make room in the old shop for that original paint Crocker that only needs a little clutch fettling - using clutch plates fashioned from some cast off radial saw blades - and perhaps a points adjustment or restore one of less than a 100 completely red touring raps on 18/19's....as opposed to using it's fork bits for mocking up a disc brake setup...

Peter,

Remember that the Crocker and the red Rapide both belong to friends. I get to fix them, they get to ride them.

It all works out in the end. The rich man gets his ice in the summer and the poor man gets his ice in the winter.

Ken Smith

indianken

Non-VOC Member
Disc Brakes.

Just a few words on my disc brake project. A bad case of the flu had stopped
me from going to Daytona and I was just able to take my first test ride today. I was only out for about twenty miles because I'm still under the weather but the brakes work a treat!! Two finger braking, solid and easily modulated. Hope to feel better soon and get the new front tire scrubbed in so I can try some real serious stops.
Ken Smith

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
Well,, I took my assembled brake backing plates along with my wheels
to the Ducati dealer who is a well known racer..and he just called me
to tell me that the first wheel needed 8 thou taken off the
linings...and the second set needed 28 thou...so he stopped, and said
just put em on the bike, apply the brakes and then tighten the
axle.."because 28 thou is too much to take off the linings"...anyone
else run into this?..Is the clearance between the pivot end of the lining and the brake drum anything to pay attention to?..Seems my brake linings when new are a pretty sloppy fit in the drums ( whilst assembled onto the backing plates of course..)..I admit to not knowing enough about this to give the m/c shop owner solid direction as to what to do next..

nkt267

VOC Member
Personally I don't see a problem,if the linings are turned/ground to fit the drums. 28thou does not seem excessive, the linings are usually in the region of 190thou+ (3/16"?) thick. The man who relines my shoes fits oversize linings and I turn them to suit the drum with a firm push,sometimes I remove over 30 thou!.John
Waiting to get shot down in flames now:D

mr.hutch

VOC Member
Personally I don't see a problem,if the linings are turned/ground to fit the drums. 28thou does not seem excessive, the linings are usually in the region of 190thou+ (3/16"?) thick. The man who relines my shoes fits oversize linings and I turn them to suit the drum with a firm push,sometimes I remove over 30 thou!.John
Waiting to get shot down in flames now:D

I dont see why you should get shot down John, that's what you did on my rear drum and it's worked fine, a great improvement.

mr.hutch :)

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
Picked up everything from the m/c shop..all done to Robert Watsons specs - Thankyou Robert!
..everything looks fine...now just waiting for shipment of parts from the vocsc to arrive so I can mount fenders, and then wheels etc etc.