ET: Engine (Twin) alternator / chopped cases

roger v

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
has anyone ever used chopped cases for road use by fitting a rotor on to the the drive side crank pin and then mounting the stator in the primary chain case to facilitate charging .

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
@Pushrod Twin has a big thread on this very forum about a build with chopped cases.

I can’t recall what he did. But have a go using the search function on the top right of the page. Lots of good information in that thread.

vibrac

VOC Member
Here is an alternator Egli it had sat with the late great Dave Hills for years and looked like this when it came into Bens to be rebuilt,lots of shots of rebuild on Bens site BSK speedworks I believe it went to France
1632472902364.png

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Yes I have on mine, but I have an open belt drive, I managed it without any mods to the mainshaft by making a long sleeve nut to hold the pulley on with the sleeve facing out. The rotor was bored to suit this and is retained by a bolt into the end of the sleeve. Instead of a key driving the rotor there is a peg in one of the pulley extracting holes which locates in a hole drilled in the rotor. This has been on something like 20 years and has not given the slightest trouble.

Attachments

• Chris Launders bikes 076.jpg
    Chris Launders bikes 076.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 37