Misc: Charging Systems Alternative for plastic Exide Box (flimsy)?

Mark Stephenson

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Folks

Very underwhelmed when I received my new Exide Battery Box. Seemed flimsy to me and sure enough the plastic top bends under any proper screw down--so much so that today on a long ride I lost my FT31. BTW the Shorai battery (12V) is nothing short of AMAZING. Given I am new to my Vincent could be some user error for sure, but what about a "rubber" battery box--anyone have a better spec?

Thx Mark (2501)

LoneStar

VOC Member
I think mine is a hollowed-out original hard rubber case from an old Exide battery. But these are hard to find, and a nuisance to hollow out. Where did you get your replica? I've seen some that are reasonably sturdy.

In any case, it's helpful to use an extra nut on FT31, beneath FT30AS and clamping it against FT130. That way you don't need to put a lot of pressure on the box itself, while still keeping FT130 in place. (I figured this out after replacing lost FT130s a couple of times.)

davidd

VOC Member
I think fiberglass is a good solution. I made two boxes, but they were too labor-intensive to knock out. Making a cover alone would be easier.
IMG_2246.JPG

IMG_2248.JPG
IMG_2249.JPG
I glassed-in a piece of wood as a reinforcement. It seemed to me that it was asking too much of the flexible plastic or rubber to stand up to the clamping forces of the battery strap.

David

Albervin

VOC Member
My replica Exide box is quite flexible and rubbery. My old one was a very nasty hard plastic. To prevent that knurled disc loosening you can either drill and lock wire or place an "O" ring over the top.

Mark Stephenson

Non-VOC Member
Seems I am not the only one with this problem. Bottom line the "decoy Exide box" is not made well. I like the idea of putting a nut below the FT30AS--don't need the pressure to secure that collapses the flimsy box cover. I went another direction that I hope works and will let you know: Rubber not plastic Lucas box.

1608601488047.png

Last edited by a moderator:

erik

VOC Member
I have mounted a grosset starter and this means a larger Battery is necessary.May be a wooden box with the Right size is the best idea because you can fit in this box any ugly Looking new battery. erik

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
I have mounted a grosset starter and this means a larger Battery is necessary.May be a wooden box with the Right size is the best idea because you can fit in this box any ugly Looking new battery. erik
Take a look at the SHORAI battery range - a LOT smaller and very high CCA's.

Will live very happily with an Alton

SteveO

VOC Member
I've also got a starter on mine (albeit not working ATM, one of the gears stripped again!) and therefore a larger battery required. I ordered a Motobatt glass mat battery sized to fit the battery tray (the output was incidental, as these small batteries will easily produce enough cranking power for the starter and if, like me, you are still on a magneto, you don't have to worry about running it down). It came in a lurid yellow rather than the black I was hoping for. So I gave it a thick coat of Humbrol Matt Black enamel and you can hardly see it now!