ET: Engine (Twin) Alternative electric starters

Chris Launders

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Yes that sort of thing but with cast primary casing, I will try and get some info/pictures in the week, that may be the easy bit as I'm on my emergency laptop, my normal one decided it is having a blank screen day. I will also look through pictures on here, it's a black Norvin with fairing and a curious humped seat (that's where the electrics live) there will be pictures from the Bawtry and Crich meets.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Yes we have seen some other examples of starters on here over time. They are quite specific to the particular machine, just the norm for many a Vincent. I know of a chap here in Australia who has a Norvin, chopped engine with a starter off a small block Chev V 8........ My guess is that any V twin of a larger size is a challenge for any starter system to crank over, as you have two large cylinders that is almost the equivalent of a giant single, plus heavy flywheels, a triplex primary, and four main bearings....... This all adds up on the "Drag factor" this explains why kicking an engine over with no decompressor mechanism is difficult........ Have you ever tried turning over a V8 by hand, even with the plugs out........Loads of friction to overcome everywhere. The issue with a starter on these (and other) bikes is the starting mechanism ratio's are all wrong.........On a car engine it uses a small starter pinion driving a large diameter flywheel/ring gear. Whereas on the bikes we are going almost the other way around..........Perhaps I should come up with an "Air start system" injecting compressed air into the cylinders........... Hmmmmmm.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
The first system I saw come out of NZ is Graham Jameson's. He cast his own C/cases (made in New Zealand) building it into a Black Shadow. Then the starter, not sure if it was on the same bike though had a very ingenious engaging pinion that ramped up for engagement turned over the engine, if it backfired it was thrown out of engagement.
Another that has been working satisfactorily for several years is Ivor (the terrible) Shannon who built an Egli style Vincent from freshly made castings and fitted it out T.P. parts from over the Tasman Sea and his own starter. Always a busy man is Ivan about to start his 27 litre Merlin engined sports car, nest project is a series "A" Rapide, having already started with old set of exhaust pipes after Chris Knibbs my new set in stainless. Another two capable starters.
bananaman.

vinhrd998

VOC Member
hello greg,
built a harley bendix type starter into my 1330 cc twin. can send some pictures and details via wetransfer if you wish. just need your mail adress.
michi
Hi Michi (Micha?)
Do you happen to know Calle S in Sweden btw?
I have a question about your Electric starter setup. Is it similar to the Godet?
Patrik Olsson

Les Thomson

Non-VOC Member
Yes we have seen some other examples of starters on here over time. They are quite specific to the particular machine, just the norm for many a Vincent. I know of a chap here in Australia who has a Norvin, chopped engine with a starter off a small block Chev V 8........ My guess is that any V twin of a larger size is a challenge for any starter system to crank over, as you have two large cylinders that is almost the equivalent of a giant single, plus heavy flywheels, a triplex primary, and four main bearings....... This all adds up on the "Drag factor" this explains why kicking an engine over with no decompressor mechanism is difficult........ Have you ever tried turning over a V8 by hand, even with the plugs out........Loads of friction to overcome everywhere. The issue with a starter on these (and other) bikes is the starting mechanism ratio's are all wrong.........On a car engine it uses a small starter pinion driving a large diameter flywheel/ring gear. Whereas on the bikes we are going almost the other way around..........Perhaps I should come up with an "Air start system" injecting compressed air into the cylinders........... Hmmmmmm.

Les Thomson

Non-VOC Member
Greg starter is off 289 ford which is about 3hp. Search youtube for Norin electric start. IMG_0161.JPGIMG_0171.JPGIMG_0170.JPG

Last edited: