Alp Sungurtekin 666 Vincent Speedweek SCTA BNI August 8-14, 2020

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Here we are in August and Speedweek is a week away. Alp has been working around the clock to finish 666, the 1000cc Series B V-twin powered bike. Lots of work will continue on the bike to get everything wrapped up. Chuck Null has just taken some photos of the engine:

Chuck Null 02.jpg

Chuck Null 03.jpg

Chuck Null 01.jpg

Alp has done a phenomenal job learning about the Vincent and getting the bike together. The chassis has undergone some revising. The lovely CNC UFM prototype could not be updated because of CNC time constraints, so Alp had to machine the replacement. The UFM had a new steering head angle and some wheelbase adjustment.

20200726_001936b.jpg

Running the bike will involve vetting and shakedown. We all know that new builds take some time to perform well. This is what Alp will be focused on for this season.

Alp's most up do date information is on Facebook:

David

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
The So Cal section and Alp are having a public unveiling of the bike tomorrow, at Griffith Park here in LA. We are providing a Zoom meeting for those keeping extra social distance. Send me a PM if you would like to join the Zoom meeting. The event is at 1 PM Pacific time, Sunday Aug 2nd.

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
The item hanging outside where the mag drive is? I suspect that is a fuel pump.

davidd

VOC Member
It is a fuel pump. Alp tends to place several fuel tanks on the bike where they are out of the way. He needs a fuel pump to get the fuel to the carbs.

20200621_161708.jpg

The fuel tank is below the mag. The Amal GPs are used as carbs, but Alp has used them on all of his builds and is very familiar with them with gasoline or fuel.

_MG_7526RT.jpg

David

Cyborg

VOC Member
Can’t speak for Amal, but when adding a pump to a Keihin, the float needle was happy at between 4-5 psi.

This odd things looks like it has a lift pump (not the one on the cambox) for fuel to feed a GP.

Sorry for polluting your thread David. Alp sure does nice work!

937FC053-2AD6-4D5E-A19C-DDBD3D5F22A8.jpeg

greg brillus

VOC Member
My guess is he will use a simple overflow system, seen it before on outfits with tanks mounted on the platform, no gravity feed there. While we are talking float bowls........I found the Dellorto SS1 flowed near double what a large Amal 302 bowl would flow.

davidd

VOC Member
You can use a Holley float bowl, which will take the pump and deliver gravity feed. Bill Norton runs one on his Cooper. Alp uses no float bowl when running nitro. The only air metering is the size of the carb. The engine takes all the fuel it can, so there is no need for a float bowl. He runs different tanks with different fuels. The alcohol runs through the float bowl, but when he switches to the nitro tank, it runs full bore with no float bowl. I don't know how he runs gasoline, but a return line seems to make the most sense.

_MG_7463RT.jpg

_MG_7522RT.jpg

David

Last edited by a moderator: