• Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

Alp Sungurtekin 666 Vincent Speedweek SCTA BNI August 8-14, 2020

davidd

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
Here we are in August and Speedweek is a week away. Alp has been working around the clock to finish 666, the 1000cc Series B V-twin powered bike. Lots of work will continue on the bike to get everything wrapped up. Chuck Null has just taken some photos of the engine:

Chuck Null 02.jpg

Chuck Null 03.jpg

Chuck Null 01.jpg

Alp has done a phenomenal job learning about the Vincent and getting the bike together. The chassis has undergone some revising. The lovely CNC UFM prototype could not be updated because of CNC time constraints, so Alp had to machine the replacement. The UFM had a new steering head angle and some wheelbase adjustment.

20200726_001936b.jpg

Running the bike will involve vetting and shakedown. We all know that new builds take some time to perform well. This is what Alp will be focused on for this season.

Alp's most up do date information is on Facebook:

David

TouringComet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
The So Cal section and Alp are having a public unveiling of the bike tomorrow, at Griffith Park here in LA. We are providing a Zoom meeting for those keeping extra social distance. Send me a PM if you would like to join the Zoom meeting. The event is at 1 PM Pacific time, Sunday Aug 2nd.

TouringComet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
The item hanging outside where the mag drive is? I suspect that is a fuel pump.

davidd

VOC Member
It is a fuel pump. Alp tends to place several fuel tanks on the bike where they are out of the way. He needs a fuel pump to get the fuel to the carbs.

20200621_161708.jpg

The fuel tank is below the mag. The Amal GPs are used as carbs, but Alp has used them on all of his builds and is very familiar with them with gasoline or fuel.

_MG_7526RT.jpg

David

Cyborg

VOC Member
Can’t speak for Amal, but when adding a pump to a Keihin, the float needle was happy at between 4-5 psi.

This odd things looks like it has a lift pump (not the one on the cambox) for fuel to feed a GP.

Sorry for polluting your thread David. Alp sure does nice work!

937FC053-2AD6-4D5E-A19C-DDBD3D5F22A8.jpeg

greg brillus

VOC Member
My guess is he will use a simple overflow system, seen it before on outfits with tanks mounted on the platform, no gravity feed there. While we are talking float bowls........I found the Dellorto SS1 flowed near double what a large Amal 302 bowl would flow.

davidd

VOC Member
You can use a Holley float bowl, which will take the pump and deliver gravity feed. Bill Norton runs one on his Cooper. Alp uses no float bowl when running nitro. The only air metering is the size of the carb. The engine takes all the fuel it can, so there is no need for a float bowl. He runs different tanks with different fuels. The alcohol runs through the float bowl, but when he switches to the nitro tank, it runs full bore with no float bowl. I don't know how he runs gasoline, but a return line seems to make the most sense.

_MG_7463RT.jpg

_MG_7522RT.jpg

David

Last edited by a moderator:

litnman

VOC Member
With fuel injected nitro the barrel valve controls the pressurized fuel in conjunction with the opening of the carb slides. Like David said, the carbs are used for air control only while the
fuel is injected through nozzles between the carbs and the heads. This dwg is a typical layout.Injected.png

greg brillus

VOC Member
If that's a Joe Hunt mag I hope Alp has checked the timing on both cylinders as the ones I have both used or helped others with were out quite a lot. My guess is the cams they use have lobes for a 45 degree twin, as per Harley........I had to modify the front cylinder lobe to change the timing to the 50 degrees.......... actually 205 degrees apart.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oldpork

New Website User
Non-VOC Member
That's all nice work, well done and thanks for sharing. Good luck and hope to see further posts:)

davidd

VOC Member
If that's a Joe Hunt mag I hope Alp has checked the timing on both cylinders as the ones I have both used or helped others with were out quite a lot. My guess is the cams they use have lobes for a 45 degree twin, as per Harley........I had to modify the front cylinder lube to change the timing to the 50 degrees.......... actually 205 degrees apart.
It is a Morris mag. Dave at Morris showed me several 50-degree rings he had made, so I don't think that will be a problem. However, there has been some delay by the postal service on a different repair or mod and Alp may have to run a standard mag. The start-up and running are all about testing.

David

genedn

VOC Member
Looks like in some of the photos he was using an alloy idler is that suitable for this type of racing? Hope he does not blow the crank through the bottom of the cases like dave Matson did with the burns rapide engine.

greg brillus

VOC Member
The concerns I would have on a nitro engine is lack of clamping force with just four studs on each cylinder........a major worry with Nitro fuels is hydraulic locking from the cylinder going dead from an ignition failure.

davidd

VOC Member
Gene,

I think it is just an older style of steel idler that had a different hole pattern. Pat made an effort to give Alp useable parts.

_MG_6283.jpg

Alp has done quite a bit of work with nitro and I think he is fairly conservative. His Triumphs use stock cast pistons and they have been timed running as fast as 189 mph. But, that is what testing is all about! He is running on petrol for testing.

David

TouringComet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Certainly takes building an LSR bike to an art form. Well done Alp.

Glenliman

VOC Member
Some beautiful work there!
Alp mentions using 2 ball bearings on the drive side. I wonder why he did not go with 1 roller and 1 ball as per stock?
The two ball bearings would give more lateral holding strength if both are with fixed in place outer races, however you lose on loading. The bearing load must be quite high with Nitro?
Also, I see the crank appears to be a fairly standard type Maughans full round with recessed nuts.
I wonder if the mainshafts are standard size?

Glen