alloy rear mudguards (again....)

nobby

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
In the July MPH page 32 there is an advert from the Spares Company, announcing aluminium front and rear blades back in stock.
Questions: are they good? I mean better then the FIVE cracking rearblades I used on one bike since 1996? Or does someone knows an address for proper stainless ones? The current stainless rearblade is probably manufactured by a drunken Polish guy on a monday-morning!

Ken Tidswell

VOC Member
The answer is to catch the Polish manufacturer on a Tuesday if there is one. The batch size is too small to get anyone to produce sheets of Birmabrite of the correct size, the guards come off the rollers in a continous strip like a large hollow spring. They are then cut to length and twisted straight. they would like to run the plant for a day . a large batch too big for the company. This is the real world of manufacturing. People would then complain too much money was spent on the guards, and not on other parts. The stainless guard manufacture is responsible for wearing out the formers. This results in more wastage than is acceptable. Ken

1660bob

VOC Member
I bought another new rear guard,hoping it might be a better fit this time...... oh dear , as bad, possibly a tad worse............Not much kop.

Chris.R

VOC Member
My Comet had Stainless guards that fitted perfectly no spacers required these were fitted for a previous owner in 1983 by Furness and Searle, I have the invoice, I bought the bike after sitting in a museum for 30 years, I thought it would be great to have alloy guards so bought a set from a well known Vincenteer who had some made, They do not fit, the Stainless that came with the bike DO. I have to ask why VOC spares and others, (and mine came from others) cannot have guards formed to the correct profile to fit a Vincent has to be a mystery yet to be answered I am struggling to get a refund from my supplier right now. It will take a great leap of faith before I attempt fitting another set of alloy guards without seeing a pair fitted first.

Albervin

VOC Member
I would be interested to know if anyone has bought a set of reproduction touring guards advertised in MPH. Do they fit?

stu spalding

VOC Member
My Comet had Stainless guards that fitted perfectly no spacers required these were fitted for a previous owner in 1983 by Furness and Searle, I have the invoice, I bought the bike after sitting in a museum for 30 years, I thought it would be great to have alloy guards so bought a set from a well known Vincenteer who had some made, They do not fit, the Stainless that came with the bike DO. I have to ask why VOC spares and others, (and mine came from others) cannot have guards formed to the correct profile to fit a Vincent has to be a mystery yet to be answered I am struggling to get a refund from my supplier right now. It will take a great leap of faith before I attempt fitting another set of alloy guards without seeing a pair fitted first.
Hi Chris,
Series "B" rear guards were made with a tighter radius than series "C", I bought a set of stainless guards for my "C" in the late 70s, not knowing of any difference, and had to put a spacer between the guard and the front lower mounting on the RFM. Cheers, Stu.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Geez in the 5000 years I've been working on these bikes i didn't know that.........Cheers Stu........(My first comment might be a slight exaggeration) ....... So don't believe everything you hear.......... ;)

Chris.R

VOC Member
Hi Chris,
Series "B" rear guards were made with a tighter radius than series "C", I bought a set of stainless guards for my "C" in the late 70s, not knowing of any difference, and had to put a spacer between the guard and the front lower mounting on the RFM. Cheers, Stu.
Hi Stu, my stainless guards are a perfect fit and no spacers, lord knows how they would have been made to fit if not manufactured to the right shape, Stainless don`t bend by hand. For the record I am unable to gain any response at all from my supplier of the alloy guards.

Last edited by a moderator:

erik

VOC Member
FYZO5668[1].JPG