alloy guards etc

jellywrestler

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
i've polished my guards up ready to fit to my bike and keen to find out any products that i can coat them with so they retain their finish without the constant task of cleaning and polishing being needed.
anyone know of something.
i had been recomended clear powdercoating by someone.

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
Clear powder coat may cause problems , if it is chipped by stones etc moisture will then permeate beneath the coating causing it to lift and allowing the alloy to corrode. Apart from bright anodizing I don't know of anything that will maintain a shine without maintenance. Some of the alloy polishes keep the shine longer than others , Belgom Alu is 1 , and there is another which is very good , can't recall the name off the top , I'll find it and post L8r.

vince998

VOC Member
Solvol autosol and a light dusting of vienna lime(or substitute)afterwoods does the job for me.(or even better,oil,or in winter grease applied liberaly);)

jellywrestler

Non-VOC Member
thought so

i didnt like the idea of a 'painted' coat for that reason, corrosion through paint chips- thank you for that. Vienna Lime??? do i look at a wine shop for that or where? i'm one of those new zealand members and dont recognise the product.
thanks for your help folks

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
Basically , the only way to prevent the metal surface from tarnishing or corroding is to seal it from the atmosphere. Painted or hard permanent coatings suffer from stone chipping and will affect the appearance. Wax , or other similar substances will prevent oxidation but will also collect dust & dirt so will need cleaning off and re-coating regularly. I did hear of a polymer coating developed for & used on military jets which apparently does the impossible , but I haven't been able to source it or any hard info.
Unless that is indeed true , the only other option is stainless guards !!

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
That other alloy polish I was trying to recall above is Alu-Magic by a company called Autec Vertriebs. UK Distributor is Auto Cavityseal in Manchester. Very good stuff.

Ken Tidswell

VOC Member
Rotting mud guards

Basically the problem would be solved by someone making a batch of stainless guards, the new alloy guards fitted to my partially built Comet are tarnishing in the garage. My other Comet has glass fibre replica touring guards.

Ken Tidswell

VOC Member
Alloy guards

A solution is to polish the guards and then go out and but a tin of ACF 50. An Aerosol spray.This claims to protect all alloy finishes it is about GBP10 a tin. I have a tin and up till now it appears to be working on my guards and rims. Ken