Alloy cleaning

redbloke1956

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I have searched the forums for alloy cleaning and only found "Lemon Pledge" so far, I have a new muff on order and when it arrives I am sure it is going to make the rest of the engine look crappy, I don't want to polish the castings as I think it will detract from the more original looking coarse casting finish.
Does anyone have any other secret way of bringing up the castings without bead/sand/soda blasting that will clean up the cases etc.

Red

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Hi Red
If you have anyone near you in the aircraft game, get some metal brightner.
Cleans up alloy castings really well.

HTH
Neil

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
Hi Red
If you have anyone near you in the aircraft game, get some metal brightner.
Cleans up alloy castings really well.

HTH
Neil

Thanks Neil,
Now you tell me!!! I spent 22 years in the bloody RAAF and never "acquired" any, to be honest Neil I have never heard of it...is it a polish or a solvent? I am even tempted to try a mild acid of some sort, years ago a mate of mine was a pro car detailer and he said they used it to clean really bad alloy wheels?

Red

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
I have used Spontex Touch Scourers and achieved good results (not on my Vincent though). They are made from recycled stainless steel and they are for cleaning kitchen items like saucepans etc. They should be used with a cleaning liquid (I have used both washing machine liquid (don't tell the wife) and washing up liquid.

I would be wary of using them on the inside of a casing because of dislodged debris and any abrasive elements of the cleaning liquid you have used. But if you rinse off thoroughly with a high pressure hose I would think you should be OK.

There must be similar scourers available in other countries.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005SF47...ve=22118&creativeASIN=B005SF47YC&linkCode=asn

Thanks for the link Nulli, wouldn't have had a clue without it, yes we do have them and I will give them a crack tomorrow, never heard of washing up liquid though...must be something the wife does:p

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Hi Red,
Its a paint on solution (can't remember wether caustic or mild acid) that you let rest a while, then rinse off.
The old man used to use it by the gallon (hence had some under the bench at home) but its all gone now.:(

HTH
Neil

B

Bikersally

Hi Red,
Its a paint on solution (can't remember wether caustic or mild acid) that you let rest a while, then rinse off.
The old man used to use it by the gallon (hence had some under the bench at home) but its all gone now.:(

HTH
Neil

I've used cillitbang on quite a few occasions works extremly well. The orange top works better than the green top.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
alloy wheel cleaner will remove the thicker bits, follow with scotchbrite(a 3m's product) will give a nice semi matt finish-it's also an aerospace finish on new parts.

chstorm

Forum User
VOC Member
I have used Deoxidine 624 with success on aluminium and alloy surfaces. Brush it on, let it stay on for a few minutes and hose it off with plenty of water. It will take away aluminium oxide and stains without damaging the surface mechanically, and leaves a bright and "virgin" metal surface. It is obtainable in 1kg. plastic cans from TRIMITE - http://shop.trimite.com/deoxidine-624-1kg. for ca. £20
Trimite's own description of deoxidine 624:
A liquid cleaner principally for use by brush on aluminium and its alloys to remove oils and oxides, when dipping processes are inappropriate or uneconomic. It is the usual preparation prior to Brush Alocrom 1200 or Alodine 600 pretreatment and is widely specified for aircraft surfaces - whether followed by chromate conversion or paint systems. It meets DTD 900/4627 and can be used as described in BS 7773: 1995 Section 3.15 Method P and BAE Airbus ABP 1-5056

Albervin

VOC Member
I use a product similar to aerostart to remove fresh oil stains on the head ,barrels and cases. Either spray it onto the (cold) alloy and wipe off immediately or spray onto a cloth and wipe over.
For baked on grime I use a non-caustic oven cleaner (Ethanolamine); spray on and leave for varying amounts of time then wash off with copious amounts of water. I also use 000-0 grade stainless steel wool
with either of the above methods to get into the rougher castings. I also use the non-caustic cleaner for inside the alloy guards to remove oil/road grime. So far no visible adverse effects but as usual,
test any product on a small area first before covering the whole machine in it.