H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Alloy brake plate dimensions Help….

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Just a thought Ken,
Don't spend too much time on the outside finish of the plate,
Until you can put it together,
Some of us have had to grind a fair bit away , Where the lower spring box touches ?.
Cheers Bill.
Someone else reminded me about the spring box clearance, so must be a common thing? Technically they clear, but need to remove some on one plate to make room for paint.

A7CE139B-9DC4-4285-8BBD-EBAD07D784F2.jpeg

Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
I just fitted an alloy rear brake plate its such a better job that that standard steel plate and that strange alloy support for the brake pivot. I also removed the other rear brake drum, plate, brake arm, torque stay rod and gubbins. I must get the bathroom scales and see how much weight I have saved, less of course 5 small alloy spacers for the flange bolts and a tin lid for the bearing. All part of my steed for my dotage project. I have never used 2 drums at the rear when building racers and have always thought it over the top for a Comet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cyborg

VOC Member
Shaving weight off the bike isn’t just for racing anymore. Pushing the Moto Guzzi out of the garage is getting harder by the day.

Bill…Prior to assembling the forks, I made a plastic bushing for the brake plate so I could centre a fork blade on the plate. I did that before the screw holes for the scoops were drilled. That how I decided where the scoops should be located and I’m glad I did. If I had just installed them where I “thought” they should go, it would have been a royal pain to sort out afterwards. I spent a bunch of time looking at photos of Lightning/Flash brake plates ( thanks to those that helped out) and they are close. I did have to remove some material from one scoop. It would all be a lot easier the next time, but there isn’t going to be a next time.
The only filing required on the fork was the mounting lug for the spring box. One lug was too wide? The other side fit ok. Plus a few strokes of the file on the backside of that anchor pin slot on one blade.
There must have been a lot of fettling and select fitting going on at the factory. No wonder profit margins were narrow.

vibrac

VOC Member
Maybe we should start a thread on how to lighten your bike........well for racing that is.
I am waiting to find out what the Comet will weigh, I am encumbered with an electric start but I have added a lot of holes noticeably on the Dave Hill stand, and as I said, I dropped one of the rear brakes, I am leaving the rear stand in place but with the DH stand leaving the back wheel free, it fills no out of the garage function, I would drop it but don't think a simple alloy strip will give enough rigidity so I will make up a tubular stay once I get some more cerrobend. I have alloy bars, the battery is a feather light lithium, alloy rims, alloy brake plates, Bramptons, coilovers each end, Alloy 1/2" nuts and bit and bobs, It will be interesting to weigh it, if I am near a round figure I have a few more tricks to save a bit more . as I say I want to still be able to wheel it out in 5 years or more time
NB. food has never been of great interest to me.