Allan Chappelow

Hugo Myatt

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Allan Chappelow, the 86 year old author, photographer, journalist and recluse was murdered at his home in Hampstead in 2006.The murder trial about to begin is almost unprecedented as it is to be held partially in camera. Chapellow wrote two books on George Bernard Shaw - Shaw the Villager and Human Being - a Biographical Symposium and Shaw - the 'Chucker-Out'. The latter was named after the photograph he took of Shaw, who was waving his stick at the front door of his house in Ayot St. Lawrence. This turned out to be the last photograph taken of Shaw. Perhaps what is not so well known was that Chapellow was a lifelong motorcyclist. At the time of his series of interviews and photo sessions with Shaw, Chappelow would ride from his home in Hamstead to Ayot St. Lawrence on his Vincent Twin motorcycle causing Shaw to remark that another author used to visit him on a similar machine. The other author was, of course, T.E. Lawrence, and the machine a Brough Superior. At the time of his death Chappelow’s Hampstead home was very run down. The overgrown garden contained several motorcycles as he seemed not to have disposed of them before acquiring another. Whether his Vincent is among them is not known.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
House Clearance

Allan Chappelow, the 86 year old author, photographer, journalist and recluse was murdered at his home in Hampstead in 2006.The murder trial about to begin is almost unprecedented as it is to be held partially in camera. Chapellow wrote two books on George Bernard Shaw - Shaw the Villager and Human Being - a Biographical Symposium and Shaw - the 'Chucker-Out'. The latter was named after the photograph he took of Shaw, who was waving his stick at the front door of his house in Ayot St. Lawrence. This turned out to be the last photograph taken of Shaw. Perhaps what is not so well known was that Chapellow was a lifelong motorcyclist. At the time of his series of interviews and photo sessions with Shaw, Chappelow would ride from his home in Hamstead to Ayot St. Lawrence on his Vincent Twin motorcycle causing Shaw to remark that another author used to visit him on a similar machine. The other author was, of course, T.E. Lawrence, and the machine a Brough Superior. At the time of his death Chappelow’s Hampstead home was very run down. The overgrown garden contained several motorcycles as he seemed not to have disposed of them before acquiring another. Whether his Vincent is among them is not known.
Gday Hugo,
I am thinking of getting into the house clearance business, do you have the late Mr Chapellow's address or the executors of his will? I was on the phone yesterday trying to purchase some obsolete spares for my recently purchased Series E Vincent (or the next best thing) a Yamaha TR1, and during a very long telephone conversation that covered many aspects of motorcycling, and yes the subject of Vincents cropped up as usual, the chap I was talking to informed that he knew of an old gent of 90 years living in the west country that had two Vincent twins stored in a garage, their fate unknown. Sadly I was unable to glean any further information but I guess one day someone will hit the jackpot, you never know,it could be a Series A.

tonythecat

Non-VOC Member
Hi Hugo,
If you can get the post code and house number, you could Google earth it and see whats in the long grass.................................................lol

:):):)

Last edited:

Rapide

VOC Member
house

Here is the house in Hampstead as it was several years ago, invisible to the passer by! Contents of garden and house long since valued and removed, I would imagine.

Attachments

• recluse.jpg
    recluse.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 68

timetraveller

VOC Member
Ah! How many of you remember that T.E.Lawrence was also known as Aircraftman Shaw, was well connected to the establishment and that the Shaw was supposedly named after his father, G.B. of that ilk No wonder that poor old George Bernard chased the bu**er off as he probably evoked very painful memories. Makes one wonder why some of the case is to be heard in camera. Probably the establishment hiding its dirty linen again.

:cool:

daevideo

VOC Member
Nicky Mason of Pink Floyd seen at his garden party wearing a Vincent T shirt also lived in Devonshire Hill. His dad Bill Mason earlier lived on the Salisbury Rd in Edgbaston when he worked as a film maker I think at the big car factory nearby.