All things UK (GOLD STAR)

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I thought it was Vibrac, But my spares book says HB11AS, But with some of us having different levers, I have to mess about with things, Cheers Bill.

kurtflys

Non-VOC Member
Mine broke right at the lever. The only way I can see to repair this one is to shorten up the cable and reattach the cable to its carrier, but I doubt there enough cable. But if I did cut a piece out of the cable housing, and left say 3/8 inch wire, I doubt I could figure out how to get the end of the cable back in its holder. Would this require me taking the cable completely off the bike ??? I might be able to swing that but melting the lead and reattaching the end ?? Not to sure there...

vibrac

VOC Member
You can shorten a cable without unsoldering a nipple I have done it when I had to. its a bit tricky to cut the outer filing a flat untill you can twist it apart then pull it out like the spring it is and unwind watch you fingers its like a curly worly razor blade but if you cant solder a nipple at the time its the only game in town

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Morning Kurt, Lots to learn, I am worried about ET 172/2, The cable abutment at the other end of the cable, It can drop out and be lost !! It has a slot in it so you can take it off the outer cable, It just sits in the end of the tube ET 168, Once you have taken it off, Slide the tube away from the engine and you can see how the inner cable end slides into the lifter rod, Sometimes with a new cable there is too much solder on the nipple and needs filing a little. When you fit the new cable it needs a bit of slack, More than a clutch cable. Try and make friends with some older type bike owners near you. Good Luck, Bill.