All dressed up

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Here is the specific reg:
Brakes: must be as fitted to the original machine. Original brake plates may be modified to change from single leading shoe to twin leading shoe operation. The fitting of air scoops is allowed and brake lining material is free
must be nice to have a standard Manx Norton...

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Tim,
Bernd from Germany was making new TLS that looked like standard brakes, with the mechanism all hidden on the inside.
He had them at the International last year, someone must have pic's or contact details

bmetcalf

VOC Member
He posted on the Forum about his brakes in the last few months, but I searched with no luck and I don't remember his alias. Maybe it was on the FaceBark page, not here.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
To bend the rules, You were talking about High ex' pipes, Remember the racing "A" twin, Tony Wilson ?.

davidd

VOC Member
Bernd's brakes are 8" and the drum is aluminum with a cast-in cast iron insert. He designed a clever lever system to activate the leading edges of the shoes.

Aluminum Brake.PNG

David

davidd

VOC Member
Tim,

It is always exciting to see a good racing Vincent. Congratulations!

Although we all want better brakes I have to say that after attacking the brake performance thoroughly, I think that they what I came up with works quite well. What that means is that they are probably the best in class, which is a lot different than being twin discs, but there is nothing in the class that can out-perfom them.

I have posted all of the improvements that I have done, so there are no secrets. The very fast vintage bike riders like Alex McLane and David Roper have never had a complaint about the brakes after they have ridden the bikes. With very strong brake shoes and no fade high friction linings I think the braking is about the best you can get with the stock style drums.

It looks to me like you may whack that rear pipe on right handers. I don't have that much clearance on that side. I think Greg had that problems also.

David

vibrac

VOC Member
The 2020 Landsdowne regs have just been posted (I guess they are 2021 ones now :( ) high level exhausts loose 1 point and we also loose 1 point for 18" wheels unless I can prove Vincents were supplied with them on occasion