All dressed up

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
And nowhere to go :(
The Comet is at the stage where I would add oil and dump it on my mains rollers run it up and then start fettling and sorting with short rides round the lanes... But that's not going to happen, so I will just store it away somewhere secure and wait till the emergency is over. the seat support is adjustable so I can fit either the extended seat for 2 up rides or the standard (not that there is many dimensional differences) the electric start is in position and ready to try under load and the coil over front and rear seem matched. The Mikuni is ready to feed the big bore, I think frustrated is the key word :)
LHSside.jpg
RHSside.jpg

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Wot no mirrors, I got a few yards down the road last year, And thought something is wrong, I had forgot to put the mirrors on !.
Yes I checked my Old Comet the other day, The battery was still OK and it had not wet sumped over the winter,
All ready to go, But now Stuffed !!.

Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
An even sadder machine just rescued from the exhaust pipe maker who has closed shop ( Covid 19)
Apart from that it was ready to go on the rolling road another candidate for secure hibernation
RHsides.jpg
LHsides.jpg
FEs.jpg
tops.jpg

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
When it eventually gets out on the track I'm guessing that most of them won't even see which way Ben went.:cool:

vibrac

VOC Member
They were on the Comet that also used the balance at the handlebar and not on the fork. Over a season we tried and found no advantage Ben said the shorter standard levers gave more feel and he could find no improvement on the braking distances. (in fact over the years its been tried by us a couple of times) The key to making the abysmal (for racing) standard racing brakes is close attention to setting up and stiff cables. the regs do allow to TLS but only on existing plates thats a path we would like to take but its a lot of development time and those who have done it have not fully detailed it.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I welded up some long ones for my Old Standard Comet, With B/beam.
Feels safer to me, The linings are rubbish, but I got a job lot of new shoes with linings some years ago.

Attachments

• IMG_20190804_083021 (3).jpg
    IMG_20190804_083021 (3).jpg
    501 KB · Views: 17

greg brillus

VOC Member
Such a shame you guy's have to run stock brakes.........It really is the main limiting factor of these bikes in racing in my opinion.........you could have 1000 HP but you still need to be able to stop the thing. Our reg's allow the use of any drum brake up to 230 mm in drum diameter.........even this size on a Vin twin is working hard on some corners. I take my hat off to you...........