G: Gearbox (Other - Albion, AMC, Norton etc.) Albion Substitute Gears

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
My racing Albion box(its a full competition box without kickstart) has a very high bottom gear (all the other ratios are fine) I have tried to compensate this by a bigger rear sprocket but recent runs on the rolling road shows the top speed is now compromised
The bottom gear pair are I believe the pair nearest the GB sprocket Ie the hardest to get to, however they are a pair so their teeth need only mesh with each other
Its quite a few years since I rebuilt the box so I have no idea what the ratios are or the teeth numbers on the low gear pair (Memo to self: Keep Notes:mad:)
I have a number of road Albion boxes(Royal Enfield) of the same era whats the chances the dogs and splines match up and will they fit?

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Don't forget the one that Tony had talked about here a month ago

vibrac

VOC Member
Thanks Robert but like that Eric Morecambe piano recital I have all the cogs I need but not necessarily in the right order, however your link did lead me to my ancient comments on the forum I had forgotten so in fact I did make notes.
Its a job for the winter its a fine box it changes well a fact I put down to the Bob Newby clutch and a belt drive. My other task will be to try and improve neutral selection (how I am not sure:confused:) but at the moment its a delicate task requiring a dancers foot tap and close examination of the gear pointer a task possible in the paddock on the stand, but not suited to waiting on the start line at Prescott with a very hot engineo_O
I suppose its why the Royal Oilfields had a neutral selector
1656492018129.png

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Left brake lever , A bit past centre ?.
Could you put an extension on the gear pointer, Like I did on my Twin ?,
Can't see from this side.

vibrac

VOC Member
Holding the rear wheel on the cable brake while letting out the clutch to see if I have that elusive neutral.....