Albion gearbox

nobby

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Is there a drawing (measurements) in the Club for using an Albion gearbox, like the Grey Flash does? And the necessary parts?

davidd

VOC Member
Cornelis,
I believe we corresponded back in May. I will repeat what I said then because I do not know any better and I hope that someone else will jump in and rescue you from my redundancy.
To the best of my knowledge there are no drawings or parts available for the Grey Flash Albion gearbox installation. The parts are rare. I have purchased gear box parts, but I have never seen the F106/1, the F103/1, the inner primary cover, the G50/1 and the special alloy steady piece. If you were trying to build a copy it is possible, but these parts are so rare you will have to spend a lot of money to fabricate them all. Finally, the Albion box and clutch have done pretty well over the years, but the clutch is prone to slipping and the box occasionally finds false neutrals.
I should disclose that I own one of the three Grey Flashes sent to North America and a letter of mine is published in the most recent MPH asking for help in finding Albion parts. If you are racing and the sanctioning body allows the use of a Norton transmission then that is what I would use. The three Flashes that have been racing in the U.S. under AHRMA are only allowed to use OEM transmissions. I have some information available on fitting a Norton transmission which I have been providing to Club members through the Egli Section. I have had great success with the Newby clutch.
If I can be of any more help, do not hesitate to email me. Maybe someone can help both of us?

David

nobby

VOC Member
Hi David,
yes we did corresponded about this before. After your tip I have succesfully contacted Newby for the clutch conversion, and already bought a spare inner chaincase, because it has to be modified a bit for the Newby setup. All parts I modify are done with spare parts from eBay, because I want to keep all the original parts together undamaged. I now have a choice of: Burman box with Conways clutch or Albion box with Newby clutch. It will not be used for racing (but never say never), and it is used in a different frame setup, also with the (600+) engine as stressed member, but not Egli. The swingarm is attached to the frame, not the engine (1.5" behind the Vincent position. The frame bracket F106 is used as normal. The engine plates and connections are roughly ready now for the Burman, I was thinking to make the final product for the Albion too in the same job.
As soon as I have all parts together for test riding I will make some pictures. For the moment the oil tank is a challenge, and so is the front fork.
Cheers,
and keep up the good work with the Flash!

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Nobby, How about using part of the petrol tank for the oil, My brother made the tank 2" taller so I did't have less petrol, Bit like the "A", Just a thought. Cheers Bill.

Rapide

VOC Member
Hi,

I am trying to build a grey flash replica myself at the moment. There seems to be quite a collection of Albion 4 speed gearboxes out there for sale but every box I have seen is different from the other so if anyone knows the correct markings to look for please let me know.

I understand, after emailing him, that Patrick Godet will be making a batch of Grey Flash castings needed to accomodate the Albion Gearbox.

He was very very helpful and has had a lot of experience making grey flash reps over the years.

I am sure he won't mind me quoting from his email:

I shall be making the necessary specific Grey Flash parts which includes 3 casted parts and sets of specific gearbox distance piece and spindle.

UNQUOTE

He is just in the process of pricing up the tooling etc and hopes to have an indication of pricing and lead times shortly.

Regards.

nobby

VOC Member
Hello Nobby, How about using part of the petrol tank for the oil, My brother made the tank 2" taller so I did't have less petrol, Bit like the "A", Just a thought. Cheers Bill.
Hello Bill,
this is probably the one solution I did not consider yet, good tip!

cheers,

anders

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello all Albion lovers
This is my first reply as member, quite nervous!
I have all the original Grey Flash castings: F106/1, F102/1, An offset bar - no number. These are casted in elektron.
Also the G50/2.
Also have 3 Albion gearboxes. All three fits in with the Grey Flash pieces I have.
The most rare is a Albion HDR close ratio racing box with housing in elektron. 4speed no kick starter
the second is a HCL "normal gearing" in aluminium 4-speed with cickstarter. Dual purpos box? (Now converted to Close ratio no kickstarter)
the third is a HX box 4 speed with kickstarter (in parts)
I olso have made the distance pieces, modified the inner chain case and fitted the Newby pully and clutch.
-
Saying all this because you can ask me and maybe I can help. I also have a lot of pictures I can send

Nothing is for sale!

regards /Anders

aluminiumbronze

VOC Member
Cornelis,
If you are intending to use an Albion box with a 600cc engine I think you would best think agin, the Albion box is fragile at best and was barely up to job for the original Flashes, hence David's quest for parts, use the Norton box and it should survive.
Cheers,
Jeffrey.

anders

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello aluminiumbronze

The Albion box not up to the job? I have heard that the box is very strong, but the clutch is weak.
Please explain more what is fragile. Most interested in your answer.
Regards/Anders