Albion box

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I am having trouble with the Albion racing box on my Flash.I am fairly certain I have the right components but the mainshaft locks up solid when I tighten the LH nut on the RH side.

Of course there are few clues as to how it goes together and I am using Don Morelys guide and diagrams of the RE 1950's J type Albion road box.

The supposed arrangement of components on the mainshaft and sleeve (firmly inserted into the main bearing with sprocket in place) in order towards the RH side after the sliding gear is the mainshaft dog, the mainshaft high gear (small plain sides), inner oil thrower (indent towards clutch), inner cover, outer oil thrower indent outwards (If I could fit it) and the LH nut.

Of course this ‘road arrangement’ may be influenced by provision for a kick-start, so its possible the racing box is different, perhaps the dog is from a road box or no throwers were fitted was there ever an assembly drawing for the racing box
Gboxexp.jpg
?

Sakura

Non-VOC Member
Hi,
On some Albion boxes the layshaft looks as if it can go either way round but, is in fact, slightly different, one end from another. Is yours like this and have you got it the right way round?

vibrac

VOC Member
Thats true (a bit like the Vincent twin box), but no its the mainshaft, I just swapped the low gear cogs over and then the mainshaft turns OK , the smaller correct cog for the mainshaft is thicker than the bigger layshaft gear so its binding on the inner cover I will have to have it surface ground down a bit. Albion like Burman had good quality cogs and heat treatment so it wont hurt, pity they were not as good with drawings and instructions (and gear selection speeds!). Again any details on racing box assembly welcome

davidd

VOC Member
I have never had mine apart, so I am not much help. Another member sent me these photos which might help. Photos of the HTT gear box with no KS:
Photo 1
AlbionHTT017.jpg

Photo 2
AlbionHTT018.jpg

Photo 3
AlbionHTT020.jpg

Photo 4
AlbionHTT023.jpg

Photo 5
AlbionHTT031.jpg

David

Sakura

Non-VOC Member
Hi,
I have an Abion H gearbox manual and spare parts list pdf that shows racing parts. It's too big to upload here. PM me your email and I will send it to you - if it's any use.

vibrac

VOC Member
Yes that looks like my stuff its the items from photo 3 that are at fault
I will reduce the cog by .070 width tomorrow and try again
trouble.jpg

A_HRD

VOC Member
Tim,

70 thou sounds like an awful lot to be "at fault". What made you settle on this figure? Why not sneak-up on it at, say, 10 thou at a time - and keep trying the fit? If nothing else it my save you needing a stack of hardened shims!

Peter B
Bristol, UK.
STILL WANTED - Series 'A' Front Frame

vibrac

VOC Member
70 thou is the difference between the width of the bigger diameter thinner layshaft high gear and the thicker smaller mainshaft gear it engages with-remembering that the bigger thinner layshaft gear does not lock the shaft when placed on the mainshaft. the difference in width can actually be seen as a protrusion when assembled in box.
My fall back is that both the gears interlock as an independant pair and often since the gear tooth form altered over the years (thicker or deeper) but the shaft centers remain the same often one come across different tooth forms in these two gears from the rest of the box, I guess even RE indian cogs would fit here (as a pair)

vibrac

VOC Member
Well that did the trick, a lump off mainshaft gear plus Peter B was also right a couple of shims back in and all was sorted. Now the fun starts timing the selector actually its a bit De-ja-vu there sits the grandfathers of G59AS and G43 how interesting......

vibrac

VOC Member
I like to bring a thread to a conclusion so here goes:
Selected a few selectors,mixed matched and fiddled for an hour or so finally bolted it all together and headed for Darley Moor BHR race day.
On the starter it was a pain to select a neutral and I believe the statement in the Albion Manual "It may be found beneficial to select bottom with the heel" may well be true.
So with trepidation I headed out on the track (Don't forget the whole bike had never been out before) I selected 3rd as I accelerated and felt nothing not a clonk or a click, I thought that's not working let the clutch out and... Blimey ! its in third,accelerated up selected 4th again not a tremor or vibration and Blimey!... 4th. come the corner hook down at speed ,great, and again 2nd ,perfect, then at the hairpin into bottom and up the box again.
Just goes to show it can be done - but I think luck must have played a part.