AJS Porcupine History

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Capture.PNG

https://www.cycleworld.com/ajs-porcupines-prickly-history?dom=rss-default&src=syn

This article mentions Phil Irving as a designer as well as Ted Frend, who earned a Gold Star with his A twin at Brooklands.

David

vibrac

VOC Member
I believe in the early stages silver was considered for the cylinder
head and ajs visited Hatton garden till they found out about the cost!
The piece did not mention a attempt to race a modified porcupine in the UK in the sixties by someone like Tom Arter certainly I saw it in the paddock a few times it was when racing was in the doldrums and all the talk was about a UK world beater by public subscription and anything was tried to perk up domestic racing

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
I understand silver was used to cast at least one head - and after the trials it was returned to the supplier who promptly melted it down

Magnetoman

VOC Member
Pure silver has a thermal conductivity roughly 2x higher than pure Al, which is why an engineer thought to use it. Silver actually isn't all that expensive (today, if an Ag head weighed 5 kg the cost of the material only would be $2.5k), and no matter what it could be returned to a smelter at the end of the season and melted down, so cost wasn't a factor. Unfortunately, materials science was and the engineer with the clever idea to use it had missed that class in his studies.

Pure silver is soft so it has to be alloyed to make it hard enough to be useful, but alloying lowers the thermal conductivity. By the time enough alloying elements had been added to the silver to make it hard enough for holding valve guides and seats in place its thermal conductivity had been reduced to be close enough to that of Al alloys that there was no advantage to using it.

vibrac

VOC Member
and what of that later reappearance in the UK before team obsolete? I know I did not imagine it no a lot on line except Tom Arter sold one later on (E95?) but it was raced post 1960

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
I believe in the early stages silver was considered for the cylinder
head and ajs visited Hatton garden till they found out about the cost!
The piece did not mention a attempt to race a modified porcupine in the UK in the sixties by someone like Tom Arter certainly I saw it in the paddock a few times it was when racing was in the doldrums and all the talk was about a UK world beater by public subscription and anything was tried to perk up domestic racing

, now why dont I believe that? ;)