Misc: Everything Else Air Fuel Gauge 02 Sensor Lambda Sensor

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Well it does have a "port that produces 0-5V for tuning" according to the sales blurb, so I could set up a data logger.
I plan on feeding this Comet ethanol free fuel, so for my purposes can probably just rely on the gauge to tell me what I need to know. Unless its a case of I don't know what I don't know. Not sure I will need to think in terms of lambda.
Haven't given much thought to throttle position other than just temporarily marking the grip. I suppose I could rob the TA sensor off the brides CRV.

Last edited:

Cyborg

VOC Member
BTW, I really do have some sort of attention deficit affliction so... regretfully (and I mean that sincerely) I would rather stab myself in the eye with a fork than attempt to analyze 44 minutes of data.

... and that's another reason why I appreciate your input.

Cyborg

VOC Member
After a quick look around for data loggers, it would appear that if a person wanted to go that route, it would be better to take the same path that you and Robert did.

vibrac

VOC Member
I love the nonchalant way he says " I plan to feed my Comet ethanol free fuel" fancy actually knowing for certain what you are buying* and having official choice, lands of the free indeed.

*Esso Supreme running in semi stealth mode excepted

Last edited:

Magnetoman

VOC Member
I would rather stab myself in the eye with a fork than attempt to analyze 44 minutes of data.
If you were a physicist you would be lamenting the fact you were limited to only having 44 min. of data to analyze.
After a quick look around for data loggers, it would appear that if a person wanted to go that route, it would be better to take the same path that you and Robert did.
I wrote on a different thread that the Innovate LM-2 was developed over a decade ago and since then the company was acquired by another and none of the original personnel are still there. As a result, my experience was that technical support consists of having the manual quoted back to me even though it should have been quite clear from the wording of my question that I already had followed to the letter the procedure in the manual and that it hadn't worked.[*]

At least one other A/F data logger on the market is at least a decade old. This may mean the market for this capability is too low to spur the development of new products. That said, the LM-2 may (or may not) be the best A/F data logger on the market today, but if I were looking to buy an A/F data logger myself I would thoroughly research the other options to see if there is something more modern, or with more capabilities.

[*]This was in relation to the non-compatibility of the latest version of the software on their website with my LM-1. I was able to solve this myself only because I had burned a copy of an earlier version to a CD which I still have. The support person at the present company I spoke with after receiving the useless response to my email said what is on their site is all they have. If I hadn't had that old copy I would have been unable to do anything with the 44 min. of data recorded on my LM-1 and thus have no choice but stab myself in the eye with a fork.

Cyborg

VOC Member
I love the nonchalant way he says " I plan to feed my Comet ethanol free fuel" fancy actually knowing for certain what you are buying* and having official choice, lands of the free indeed.

*Esso Supreme running in semi stealth mode excepted

I suppose I should keep those sorts of things to myself. Relatively ease to find locally. 2 stations in our little backwater sell premium without ethanol. Not exactly cheap, but not likely to get sympathy from anyone in the UK. When I bought my Moto Guzzi a couple of years ago, the fork tubes would just touch the tank on full lock. After two years of being fed ethanol free fuel, the tank is heading back to its original size and the tubes no longer touch the tank. It would probably be better if Ducati, Moto Guzzi and whoever else... made tanks that didn't swell. They.. whoever "they" are say that although ethanol is hygroscopic, ethanol and gasoline are not. So why do some plastic tanks grow? Water will do it. I've heard some Guzzi owners say the can leave the tank empty and open over winter and the tank will shrink. The swelling has some people using ratchet straps to get their tanks bask into line so they can reinstall the rear bolt.
I think I might have just highjacked my own thread.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Cyborg resides in Canada, not advertised as the land of the free, but we do have a few non ethanol choices here, trouble is all but one come out of blender pumps, and of course that one is the most expensive, and with Cyborg's and my particular area of the Great White North we now have the most expensive fuel in North America. Around Vancouver up to Cdn$ 1.71 a litre although I did just fill up at $158.9 but somehow didn't feel like I was getting a deal!

Cyborg

VOC Member
I should add that I could,( if there was a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow ), go through 44 minutes of data.
I guess if need be, I could hook up a voltmeter to the "Tuning Port" and record the results with a Gopro and I do have a throttle angle sensor under the bench. Although... I will likely just use the A/F gauge numbers until the jetting is sorted and then I'll wonder off after some other shiny object.

How do you record throttle position?

Last edited:

Magnetoman

VOC Member
analyze financial statements.
Sorry for not having responded sooner. Having just finished my Federal tax forms a few days ago (due on April 15 in the U.S.), the phrase "financial statements" caused my vision to blur and to temporarily lose consciousness.

How do you record throttle position?
I made a "universal" position sensor based on a potentiometer and 1.5 Volt AA battery that clamps to the handlebars. I don't remember the value of the potentiometer I used (something like ~50 kOhm) but with the 1.5 V across the outer terminals the drain is negligible, and with one the lead to the data logger from the center terminal the signal goes from 0 V with the throttle closed to 1.5 V fully open. The LM-1's resolution of 5 mV gives the equivalent of a 0.3% change in throttle position with a 1.5 V battery which is why I don't bother with two or three batteries (the max. input to the LM-1 is 5 V).