AHRMA Gingerman 2019

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Well there you go !, What have I said about Squash !! :) , It's Un Natural, It's like a Diesel.
Cheers Bill.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I always refused to work on the Smelly things, Just the smell makes me ill.
Mind you, They are a bit cheaper now, Because they are bad for the Planet.
Which is what I have been saying for 50 years !.
Cheers Bill.

vibrac

VOC Member
I always refused to work on the Smelly things, Just the smell makes me ill.
Mind you, They are a bit cheaper now, Because they are bad for the Planet.
Which is what I have been saying for 50 years !.
Cheers Bill.
Actually they are bad for Urban breathers but as to CO2 they are better than petrol so I dont think the planet cares
In any case at half the investment in the electric car dead end they could make all ICE engines carbon neutral (see carbon engineering ltd) but of course the people who define policy cant make money out of that avenue....

timetraveller

VOC Member
A few months ago a German company announced that they had managed to develop a diesel engine which produced no serious pollutants but the system cold not be retro fitted to older engines. We will see. In the mean time I drove down to the south of Spain a week ago, 850 miles in one day. Last time I did it, three years ago, I managed 960 miles in one day. Electric vehicles have a long way to go in the real, non commuting, world before they will supplant the good old diesel. In the mean time Japanese manufacturers are claiming that electric cars are only a stop gap and the future will be hydrogen powered fuel cells.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Good job you don’t have to have a tachograph in a car, that is a pretty serious mileage, do you take proplus, if it is still available that is.

timetraveller

VOC Member
No. I don't normally drink tea or coffee so am not used to caffeine. I buy the cheap Lidl version of Red Bull, at about quarter the price and take a sip of that if I feel sleepy. I also eat lots of sandwiches and the occasional chocolate bar and that seems to keep me going. It is not as hard as it might sound. The 850 this year took from about 0800 to about 2200 with a stop for fuel etc. It would have been more but the traffic round Bordeaux was solid and hardly moving. My guess is about two hours to cover thirty miles. And just in case someone thinks that this is some sort of macho thing, then no, I could not possibly do it on a bike

vibrac

VOC Member
Thats a good mileage I know that I can still do the long distance trials say from 6 in the evening till about 3 the next day and still be alert we did the lands end in a car last Easter with Ange as driver and me as navigator that was 3 in afternoon till the following afternoon and again neither of us felt tired I think its down to stopping for sections and high adrenaline counts. whereas coming 20 miles in afternoon after a snack lunch I can get sleepy in the car and have often stop for a walk along
As for non stop bike runs 250 miles is about the edge of comfort for me nowadays that includes 1 petrol stop however I got 450 in getting back from Italian rally last year 100 down to UK M25 jams and stops and that was with a dodgy shoulder.

timetraveller

VOC Member
I could not do an all night run. Despite having worked at nights as an observational astronomer it's a different thing. If I made an error observing then, generally, my life was not at risk. When sailing through the night, if I am alone then the best I can do is stay propped up in the cockpit and cat nap. I would not want to do more than one night like that. One needs a crew to make that sort of thing enjoyable. I do the car runs alone as over the years the various ladies in my life have let it be known that they no longer think that sleeping in a car at night is a civilised way to carry on. I suspect most would agree.