AHRMA Gingerman 2019

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
If there is any good news at all in this it is that the VOCSC recently had ten new Comet crank cases made and when I was talking to them a couple of months ago the had not sold any. Whether the new crank cases have been beefed up compared with the originals I don't know but if they have then maybe now is a good time for some Club sponsorship.

davidd

VOC Member
It is a 600cc. Mike seems to run only at Belgium in the Gr2 class. I don't know what that is, but he seems to be running "unscored". He is blindingly fast. I saw him race at Daytona in the 1980's.

If the big end went then the piston probably smashed the head enough times to pull the studs up and the crankcase bits would go with them. This happened to me at Road America in 2009, but it was a 500 and I caught it quickly. Still, at 90 mph the damage can happen very fast.

David

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I had the head of a valve come off once, The piston came up, Folded the head of the valve in the middle and shoved it back up the hole, What a mess. Cheers Bill.

vibrac

VOC Member
I have seen a BS head where a valve went though the exhaust port roof and out o
Into the fresh air leaving a neat 3/8 hole in the roof I think the valve head bounced around on the piston a bit but all repairable tuff stuff these old vinnys

davidd

VOC Member
When the big end clearances get big the rod goes higher and the squish becomes a hammer pounding on the head. The valves tend to bend or break. Mine bent.
04.jpg

01.jpg

You can see where the squish bands are colliding and the valves are smashing into the piston cut outs. This puts a lot of shock loading on the studs.

David