E: Engine Agh!

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Ben showed me something today its a Egli Comet that has got a "newly rebuilt " engine but the new owner could not get it to run properly and gave it to Ben to sort. Ben said he thought the nut that retained the metering jet on the top of the timing cover looked strange as it wasn't the normal domed nut, when he undid the nut a spring popped out!:oops: then he looked at the bypass plug (bottom left) and yes it was a domed brass nut and yes inside was the metering jet! taking the cover off there were no rubber seals in the cam shaft recesses and of course looking down the meter jet hole lodged against the metering jet thread was the plunger from the oil bypass neatly sealing off the oil supply:eek:! fortunately the air line pushed it out and thankfully the engine had not been run for very long.
The engine looked immaculate from the outside...You have to wonder sometimes:rolleyes:.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Seen on a FB site, a guy's Commando had thrown a rod, the top end was off showing the rather bent and mangled rod and piston, his questions were "will I have to split the cases to change the rod", "should I change both " and "will I need new pistons". Frightening.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I worked at a BMW Bike place years ago, And the top man was straightening a Valve on a Works Production Racer, Something I would not try, They were over size valves, One off's, Not allowed !!,
When the Factory found out we had been inside the engine, They went mad, And told us to send the Bike back to Germany. Cheers Bill.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I've done that !!! in the 70s, several hundred miles from home my A10 ingested something and bent both inlet valves, a local guy let me use his garage, straightened them out using a copper hammer and 1p piece under one edge in the head, got them near enough to grind in and got me home.

vibrac

VOC Member
No I dont know who it was it may have been a "professional" or a helpful mate or someome out to make a quick sell. But its is a worry especially when the rectifier finds indicators of problems or specific problems in the middle of a job and has to tell the customer its not the easy job quoted for and does the customer want to look further or take a chance? repairing others mistakes is a thankless task.
I must admit I never had bad workmanship from the people I sent work to years ago. My problem and the reason I got in to heavy DIY was the string of delays and broken promises of delivery dates but looking back now i can see how a simple job can expand into weeks of work.

deejay499

VOC Member
I stripped an engine for someone that was seized. When it was put together, it didn’t have the narrow or skimmed down main bearing so the case halves had a gap when together, so the studs were put in to pull it up! After assembling the bike of course the engine would not turn, so it was towed by a tractor to get it going. Needless to say, quite a bit of damage was done! Not recommended.