Advice sought.......

hooterman

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Could this be Nilpos Crewe if it is I can only confirm brilliant finish but like all things good worth waitnig for.

nkt267

VOC Member
I hadn't heard of Nilpos I shall bear that in mind for the future.
Phil Jenkins. 8 Clifton Drive. .Wilmslow. Cheshire. SK9 6JW. 01625 585933.
He even returned the plated parts to me and asked me to send a cheque in the post. John

F

Flatout

Excellent info..........

Was giving an excellent advice on who to use for engine rebuilding......More PM's etc and now have a very comprehensive list and recommendations.
Keep posting as this is so valuable to newcomers like myself!
Could someone help out and give me a contact number for John Coates?
Two people have given me his name and said he is excellent with carb inspection / reconditioning.

Dave.........

I hadn't heard of Nilpos I shall bear that in mind for the future.
Phil Jenkins. 8 Clifton Drive. .Wilmslow. Cheshire. SK9 6JW. 01625 585933.
He even returned the plated parts to me and asked me to send a cheque in the post. John

pussycat

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi,
Good to hear that there is another Vincent in the York area.
Just a thought, have you considered the appeal of a machine of unrestored or "original finish" as an alternative to spending a lot of money on cosmetic appearance?
There are many machines in the V.O.C. which still retain their patina.
These machines are still highly regarded along side the very shiny ones.

Look forward to seeing you around.

F

Flatout

Bike condition.

Hi pussycat,
The general condition of the bike is getting to the poor stage. The swinging arm part is at least 50% red with rust. Forks at least 30% white! it's been lying in a damp shed! I'm going the Stainless Steel route with as much as possible. The way I view it is fit and forget as it's going to get well used.

Received my parts from Grove yesterday. Headlamp rim is very nice and it comes with a stainless steel catch. Excellent products.
I have a contact number for John Coates now so thanks for the PM's.
Going to send the carbs away tomorrow and hopefully I'll get one from three!

Can anyone give me advice on a stainless steel exhaust system? Not 100% sure which way to go as I've had recommendations to go to Armours / Vincent spares in Lymm but I was told that Armours don't fit.
Can I expect grief when I eventually come to fit?

Dave.

Hi,
Good to hear that there is another Vincent in the York area.
Just a thought, have you considered the appeal of a machine of unrestored or "original finish" as an alternative to spending a lot of money on cosmetic appearance?
There are many machines in the V.O.C. which still retain their patina.
These machines are still highly regarded along side the very shiny ones.

Look forward to seeing you around.

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
I always wanted stainless pipes on my twin. Over the years I have acquired two sets - a three piece set from Australia (both down pipes clamp into the bottom run), and a beautifully made set with a built in clamp for the rear cylinder pipe. Neither of them actually fit. I spent many hours on both sets trying to make them fit. I am told that even if stainless pipes are jigged correctly they tend to spring afterwards. I believe Bob Culver has the original jig for making the pipes so only pipes originating on that jig are pretty certain to fit, but perhaps only in mild steel. If you want bespoke pipes - Mr Nick Paravani, 01953 454573, Competition Fabrications. Bonns Bank. Attleborough. Norfolk. Special 1 off Exhausts and Tin Ware, NR14 1QD ...
He has made pipes for for Vins and has an excellent reputation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul Ennis

VOC Member
Exhaust pipes

My twin exhaust pipes (chromed mild steel) came from Bob Culver and they fitted perfectly. I sent him my front pipe nut and he did the pipe flange for me.

Len Matthews

VOC Member
Armours stainless exhaust pipes: Beware if you are an enclosed "D" owner. The sweep of the front pipe is such that it fouls the crashbar. I had to cut out a section from the crashbar to get the pipes on and the rear pipe fouled the front cylinder inlet rocker cap-quite a struggle! However, on another machine a set of Armour's chrome pipes caused no great problems. Not bad products for the price. Their silencers are OK too.(Usual disclaimer).

rapcom

VOC Member
Exhaust Pipes/Overlander/Armours

I had the same problem with a set of Overlander 3-piece SS pipes. No way would they fit an enclosed D, the front pipe clashed with the crash bar in as complete a manner as imaginable. The manufacturer obviously never ever tried his pipes on an enclosed D. Maybe they will work on an open bike, I haven't tried yet.
I have a SS pipe from Armours on my Comet, which I flanged myself. I had to use a stand-off mounting at the rear to make it fit, and the SS from which it is made is of poor quality. Every time I use the bike, brown speckles appear in the metal of the pipe. They polish out, and then re-appear after the next ride. I think I'll just have to accept them, I'm fed up with polishing.
I did not bother to discuss it with Armours, as they had told me that the pipe was the last one they had in stock, so a replacement would not have been available, and even if it had, it would have been made from the same metal.
What happened to quality ? The SS pipes on my Rapide are 40+ years old, and still beautiful.

nkt267

VOC Member
I got a complete stainless system for my Comet from Armours.The quality seems fine BUT the silencer is 30thou bigger at the union than the pipe.I have not fitted it yet as I'm still looking for brass shim.John And the club one didn't fit well either.The pipe bracket is nowhere near where it should be and I have fitted 3 of these to 3 Comets.