Advice required re value

Brettamey

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi all, I'm new on here, I've joined for my Aunty who has in her possession a couple of old Vincent's. She
Has asked me what they are worth so I thought id see if anyone on here would have an idea.

Having done a very quick bit of research, I think they are both commets. I've took a few pictures, they are both in good condition, appear to be in one piece and at least one of them has been running in the last five
Years.

I've taken some pictures, but don't know how to attach them to this thread. So if anyone can tell me how to attach them I'll do that also. Anyway thanks for reading and I look forward to all replies.

The engine number for the one without the sidecar is f5a 2A 9381

Regards Brett

Last edited:

youngjohn

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Disregarding the sidecar, between £8000 -14000 (eight grand for a restoration project to fourteen grand for a nice ready to go bike). Unfortunately there is an anomaly with Comets in the respect that they are often worth more as parts than as a bike, so if you or your Aunty have any desire (either sentimentally or historically) to have them kept as whole bikes then be careful who you sell them to.

davidd

VOC Member
Brett,

If you want to sell the sidecar it may be best to keep it paired with the bike. Settle on a price you think is fair, but stick with the same price with or without the sidecar. I love sidecars, but most buyers do not. You do not want to ger stuck with the sidecar alone because it will be a hard sell for you. The buyer will probably have a better chance of selling it and if he still does not want it, at least you received the value for it which would make it much easier for you to find a home for it.

David

Brettamey

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks everyone for the advice. I may just do that Vincenttwin if she lets me buy one :). The other slight problem is getting it back from australia to the uk. Does anyone know how much that might cost?.

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
You will have to pay import duty plus vat i would say shipping 750 pound a bike duty is based on the true value dont try to fiddle value else you will lose the bikes.

Vince Farrell

VOC Member
Thanks everyone for the advice. I may just do that Vincenttwin if she lets me buy one :). The other slight problem is getting it back from australia to the uk. Does anyone know how much that might cost?.

Sell them in Australia. They are worth as much there as in the UK, and it will save a load of agro.

Vince Farrell - VOC Machine Researcher

Albervin

VOC Member
Sell them in Australia. They are worth as much there as in the UK, and it will save a load of agro.

Vince Farrell - VOC Machine Researcher
Vince is right. IF you plan to sell then the high value of the Australian dollar will mean a relatively higher price than you will obtain in the UK. Good Comets sell for $23-25,000 (£15-16,000) and bad ones sell for $15-16,000 (£10,000). Depending on the model of sidecar they can fetch from $2,000 (or less if in poor condition) to over $8,000 for a nice Steib. Contact one of the Australian sections if you need any assistance; I have recently assisted in the purchase and sale of several machines and all parties seem to be happy with the outcomes.