Advice on SEVERE tank slap

mach1ne

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks for all the information

A private email from a VOC member jogged my memory about sending an email letting everyone know what the final result of this thread.
Its been about 16 months since I came off my Black Shadow, and I have since repaired the bike and most of my body has repaired as well. I fitted Thorton springs and shock absorbers and also a Ohlins steering damper.It dosn't do a lot for the looks of the bike, but its functional.I did'nt think much of the way the rear spring units were to be assembled with the new setup, so I made internal shafts and oiled nylon bushes to keep the spring units aligned. I checked all the fork bushes and eccentrics and front wheel shimming. I retained the 19" front wheel.I now run 32 PSI in the front tyre. All round the bike seems to steer better and feels very stable. I have done about 600 miles since the repair. Time will tell.
Best Regards
Dean

PS
A fairly simple mounting arrangement for a Ohlins steering damper is a unequal triangular plate bolted under the bottom of the existing steering damper through the existing holes, inboard of the eccentrics, with spacers to allow clearance for everything. The damper runs diagonally from left to right, with the frame mounted end, bolted onto a stepped plug , mounted into the front sidecar mount on the right hand side. A bolt is fitted through the sidecar mount ,from the left side, with a thick washer and screwed into the plug. The plug is milled off at about 45 degress, and is tapped centrally, perpendicular to that surface, for the damper mounting bolt. The hole for the other end of the damper (front), is drilled through the triangular plate at a 40mm radius from the centre of the head bearing, with an angle of 90 degrees between head bearing, front mount and rear damper mount, when the steering is straight ahead. A spacer, with a taper on one end, is needed between the front mount and the damper rod end, to get clearance on the rod end as it travels through an arc, and also clearance on the original dampner anchor bolt. I used a Ohlins SD 120 which I think is used on a late model Ducati.
Its body length is about 165 mm and extended overall length around 250
mm. The frame mounted end, of this damper is adjustable for length position and has a ball joint, which makes it easy to position on the bike.