advice on heating cases to 200c

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello George, I have just been talking to my Brother about this, I think we are going to try general heat with a Camper cooking grid, 2 or 4 ring off a gas bottle, I think it's better to get it all hot, Good Luck, Bill.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
New to Vincents, need to replace bearings in crankcase of Rapide. can I use localised heat (oxy/acet) ? Thanks
I have in the past used our most excellent NEF electric fan oven that has a convenient dial for setting the thermostat at around 200ºC.
It is probably worth noting that it works best when my wife is not at home.;)

davidd

VOC Member
George,

The problem you will run into is that if local heat is applied it will constantly migrate to the rest of the cases until they warm up considerably. I think that is why ovens are used so frequently. You might want to use a heat gun to get some general heat in the rest of the cases and then apply the local heat.

David

greg brillus

VOC Member
Yes good idea, or a simple digital thermometer available from most tool/ DIY motor supply shops. Actually 200 degrees is too hot, you only need about 170 max. I believe they were heated to a higher temp to allow enough time to fit all the parts. I also believe this is why the bearing races were staked with small punch marks, to stop the bearings falling out when the cases were flipped over.....NOT as a means of holding them in the cases.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Yes good idea, or a simple digital thermometer available from most tool/ DIY motor supply shops. ........
I also use a digital infra red heat sensors. They are easy and convenient to use, just point it at the cases and get an instant readout, inexpensive too. I think the link below is the one I bought from Amazon UK at less than £12.00 plus P & P. There are others available if you do a search. (A bonus is that it has a red laser pointer that is handy to point things out if I am doing a slide show.:))

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CoastaCloud...=1433829992&sr=8-1&keywords=laser+heat+sensor

Howard

VOC Member
The oven's always worked for me. I remember looking at new ovens "This one will take a 20 lb Turkey" said the man "No good" I said, "I'd have to take the the cylinder studs out to fit the crankcases in there". He laughed and the wife said "He's not joking, it's weeks before the cooking stops tasting of Duckams!"

H