Advice on front and rear cylinder inspection caps - the top ones!!

BlackLightning998

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi All,

I've taken the tank off the Rapide to properly torque down the heads and a variety of other small jobs this month (you'll see some other threads asking for assistance).

The uppermost rocker/valve inspection covers are loose, not even finger tight. Any good ideas on how to get these done up properly?

Even if I had an open ended spanner there is not sufficient space for a full thickness one. There is not enough clearance to pass the K1 over the top so I would imagine the best bet would be to buy a spare K1 and convert it into an open ended spanner to do the job.

A strap wrench oil filter fitting tool might just be able to do the job with a little care - I've got one of those - but thougt I would ask if anyone else has come across a bright idea fix for this problem?

Cheers

Stuart

rapcom

VOC Member
Been there, done that

I tried converting a spare K1 to an open-end to do this job. The first time I applied "reasonable force" to it, it opened out. A similar idea cut from steel plate, strong enough for the job, would perhaps be a good seller from one of our suppliers. Are you listening, Russ ?

tractorman414

VOC Member
inspection cover spanner

Hi, I use a filed out K3 spanner, I can get the caps thight enough without distorting the spanner.

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
Job done - thanks to tractorman

Afternoon all,

Got myself a replica K3 from Russ and marked and filed it - did the job perfectly and now there is a K3-A spanner in the toolbox.

Job done - many thanks to the Forum once again.

Cheers

Stuart

Hi, I use a filed out K3 spanner, I can get the caps thight enough without distorting the spanner.