Advice on fitting new petrol taps

BlackLightning998

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi All,

Tanks off the Rapide to do a few jobs. I wondered if anyone can give me some advice on fitting new petrol taps?

I ordered and got a set of new taps when I first got the bike in June last year - I used to get my bits then from the Spares Company and in my ignorance simply asked for a pair of taps - didn't think I had to ask for the washers too, seperately.

So I guess the first thing I now need are a pair of A27 washers?

The taps I took off (worn and leaking) appear to have PTFE tape on both the upper thread (going into the tank) and the lower, fixing to the supply pipe. Do members recommend using PTFE when putting it all back together again?

Finally the new taps appear to have ben assembled with a bit of grease, when you rotate the tap to on and look through the bore you can see some grease sitting in there and the bore is not clean. I would have thought it best to try and clean this in a bit of petrol and a lint free rag before fitting them on the tank - views?

Regards

Stuart

Ken Tidswell

VOC Member
Petrol taps

It is a recommendation that all taps are a 1/4" bore. 1/4 BSP washers are fine with a little Locktite pipe seal on them and PTFE tape as required . Some people fit 1/4 BSP taps for gas appliances . These are a true quarter bore , have an s/s ball valve in them and O rings to seal. One would need a reserve tower fitted for safety. Personally i have used lever type taps opened to 1/4 with a drill through them, not for the faint hearted. Ken

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
Any ideas if the ones from the Spares Co. are 1/4" bore

Thanks Ken,

Any ideas if the Spares Co. taps are 1/4" bore then? Not sure my pillar drill could do the job personally! (Let alone me driving it).

Cheers

Stuart

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Taps

I use the gas taps Boggler refers to. They need a male/male crossover then standard fuel lines can be used. They're 1/4" bore, don't leak, and are very easy to operate. They are said to seize in petrol (as opposed to petroil) but I've had no problem and suspect it is another of those things that could happen, but doesn't. They are also significantly cheaper than "real" fuel taps - the ones that leak.

Len Matthews

VOC Member
These gas taps are known as mini-ball valves and can be bought at most plumber's supplies shops. I agree with previous comments;they neither leak or seize. Usually, it's necessary to turn the lever through 180 degrees (best left off when inserting in your tank) but this is no problem. Make sure that get those threaded 1/4" gas each end-there are several variations.:)

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
Thanks Len

Hi Len,

Thanks for your response. I've ordered a pair of gas taps from Russ and will have a look at them alongside the lever taps I have which I got from the Spares Company last year. I must admit to not having seen the gas taps on someones bike and so pictures of a plumbing solution are filling the imagination - if they are neat, look good and do the job I may well go that way.

I'm not sure if the lever's I got are 1/4 bore or not, and I have heard the fuel starvation issue - especially when pressing hard.

I suspect that the taps I have taken off are the very same ones that my Dad and I fitted in the 1980's - they are not petrol tight as you might expect and also the gauzes were pretty clogged when I got them out which cannot have been helping a smooth performance.

Thanks for your continued interest and advice.

Looking forward to tomorrow and a day spent on the bike in the company of a VOC member who knows what he is doing and is coming over to be my "mentor" for the day.

Cheers

Stuart

nkt267

VOC Member
I have popped a photo of the mini gas tap on my Comet in miscellaneous 2008 modifications.or click photos in last 7 days and scroll through..See what you think..John

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Petrol Taps

I have been happy with the "leakproof taps" from Vin-Parts.

What a blessing that that the wacky metric world adapted the BSP standard! It sure makes it easier and cheaper to buy things for our old bikes than if they went another way.:D

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
Looks very neat to me

Hi John,

Thanks for that - looks very neat to me.
Ever had any fuel starvation issues with the bore size on them?

Thanks for your help.

Stuart

I have popped a photo of the mini gas tap on my Comet in miscellaneous 2008 modifications.or click photos in last 7 days and scroll through..See what you think..John

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Gas taps

You'll find them on the Plumb World website. They're 1/4" bore. Although the male end is BSP taper, they work fine with a spot of Loctite hydraulic seal. The thread comes up to full diameter when it is almost fully home. Then you need a male-male connection to couple them up to the standard Vin fuel lines. Since i had a couple "in stock" changing over to the new taps took about 30 minutes.