Misc: Everything Else Advice on drive chain.

Dave61

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello all,
I`ve got the narrower sprockets to let me run an O or X ring chain, has anyone got any recommendations ?
Nearly bought a DID VT2 one but then saw use as measured in hours by motocrossers, typically 50-60 hours.
Cheers
Dave

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Hello all,
I`ve got the narrower sprockets to let me run an O or X ring chain, has anyone got any recommendations ?
Nearly bought a DID VT2 one but then saw use as measured in hours by motocrossers, typically 50-60 hours.
Cheers
Dave
Any branded chain of the correct size to fit your sprockets will be more than adequate. If you have a slim chain you may be able to use an "O" ring chain. For a standard size chain I have used Iwis without "O" rings for the last few chains getting 10-20,000 from a chain. I always run a Scott chain oiler on all my bikes then you only have to remember to spend a few minutes to check the reservoir oil level and chain adjustment every now and then. (Other chain oilers are available, Scott is just the one I use. It is actuated by the vacuum of the inlet tract.)
It is a good idea to fit new sprockets with a new chain although inspection may show this is not always unnecessary. The pleasant couple at this link, Sprockets Unlimited attend many autojumbles and are very helpful. They also do mail order from their base near Evesham.
P.S. Are you planning on motocrossing your Vincent?:eek:

Last edited:

Normski

Non-VOC Member
Perhaps you already know but I've found that 525 o-ring chain is of similar width to 530 non o-ring so that should fit well. I trust DID as a brand and also RK but there may be fakes out there. I strongly dislike triple S brand chain.
Just about any decent brand chain will better than the best available when our bikes were new.
I wouldn't be too concerned about chain life when used for motocross, that's got to be about the harshest environment a chain can work in.