Advice on Burman kickstarter

Desmond

Forum User
VOC Member
Quite often, when I try to kickstart, the starter will not go because the ratchet and cog are not meshing. They are merely meeting tooth on tooth. I must then put her in gear and rock her a bit in order to get things to mesh. How can I fix this problem?

Desmond

Forum User
VOC Member
Oexing----I get a note from the Forum this morning that there will be no more replies to my question until I see the existing replies, which is your reply. Your reply does not shed any light on my problem at all----Desmond

b'knighted

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I found that clicking on the link that Vic has provided took me to the information you need. He could have just suggested that you use the search facility rather than doing it for you and posting the link.
Either try clicking on the search button under the shadow tank in the header or clicking on the blue “Kickstart troubles” in Vic's post.

oexing

VOC Member
Desmond,
sorry, I was too short in my reply obviously. But regarding kickstart troubles like you described for your Burman box are not specific to it but almost universal. So I invite you to study that thread to learn what is critical for fighting the jamming effect - which is to correct tooth tops of the starter gear and quadrant for pointy tops on first quadrant tooth and all on the starter gear.
Hope it helps

Vic

Desmond

Forum User
VOC Member
Vic: Thank you. I do not understand how this system works and just received a rather curt reply from the Forum this morning saying that I would not receive any further comments on the Forum until I looked at your reply which was the only response. I shall try to work it but I also take notice of your recommendation to modify the teeth. Thank you-----Desmond

Desmond

Forum User
VOC Member
Vic: That lead into the appropriate thread for Kickstarter Problems was very helpful and well explained. We shall put that filing down of the first tooth of the quadrant into action. Thank you very much----Desmond

tatty500

Non-VOC Member
Desmond
The Burman Manual has the following words:

"KICKSTARTER JAMMING
This may be due to the quadrant teeth and Rachet Pinion teeth not engaging properly, due to the sharp edge on the Rachet Pinion teeth having become worn. The cure for this is filing the teeth to a sharp point, and if the first tooth on the Quadrant is damaged, this should also be filed to give a suitable lead."

There is however no explanation here as to what "a suitable lead" means!

Regards,
Tatty

oexing

VOC Member
Tatty,
the expression "lead" is a bit mis-leading. You just have to reduce any top flat face on first quadrant tooth to a minmal radius so as to reduce a chance to have tooth to tooth jamming. Have a look into my youtube clip above and see to get an idea.

Vic

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Quite often, when I try to kickstart, the starter will not go because the ratchet and cog are not meshing. They are merely meeting tooth on tooth. I must then put her in gear and rock her a bit in order to get things to mesh. How can I fix this problem?
See OVR Edition 33 - all is revealed. Available in the OVR Archives