T: Fuel Tank Advice on applying VOC petrol tank transfers please.

Jim Bush

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I used to use this product when detailing model trains - it is quite amazing and works - Strangely, I had forgotten all about it when it came to the Vincent transfers/decals. I may even have a bottle buried away somewhere. Thanks.

EDIT - I found this on the paint shelf buried away, should do the trick.

Attachments

• decalset_sm.jpg
    decalset_sm.jpg
    365.7 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

Nigel Spaxman

VOC Member
Jim I only did this job once and it was a few years ago now. I didn't have the problem you had. I think I put a coat of clear over the black before the water slide, but after the gold. I don't think I did any cleaning or sanding before the water slides.

kieronsykes

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Having painted several Vincent tanks over the last few years for members of the VOC i personally dont use water slide transfers anymore. Whist i did wet sand with 1000 grit prior to applying the transfers, i've had too many fail once the 2k lacquer (without reducer/thinner mixed in) is applied. I've found that even though when the transfer was applied and dried for 2-3 days, there appears to be no air bubbles, and then lacquering in bubbles or wrinkles appeared from nowhere. I always use vinyl decals now and build up the layers of lacquer using high solids lacquer to get the build until the decal feels almost flat to the surface.

vibrac

VOC Member
Classic transfers instructions (which i was reading today for my Douglas transfers )water slide (the same type as Vincent) say
"Do not flat surface before applying transfer"
they also say if you lacquer use 2K ( as you say) "no extra thinners" but add "do a light coat followed by a full coat 30 mins later"
BUT they say "not all 2K lacquers are the same" and offer no guarantees!
so if anyone have success with 2K tell us what 2K you used

Jim Bush

VOC Member
Having painted several Vincent tanks over the last few years for members of the VOC i personally dont use water slide transfers anymore. Whist i did wet sand with 1000 grit prior to applying the transfers, i've had too many fail once the 2k lacquer (without reducer/thinner mixed in) is applied. I've found that even though when the transfer was applied and dried for 2-3 days, there appears to be no air bubbles, and then lacquering in bubbles or wrinkles appeared from nowhere. I always use vinyl decals now and build up the layers of lacquer using high solids lacquer to get the build until the decal feels almost flat to the surface.

Sadly, my latest effort ended up the same - full week before applying decals, used Solvaset dope to affix, let dry another 2-3 days, then 1 light coat urethane clear, let set up and the then final 2 coats. Looked great for about 2 days, then as you say the bubbles started and does not look good now.

I wondering about using the gold leaf size as an adhesive first. But I am still thinking the decal material itself is reacting to the paint.

Where do you source the vinyl decals?

I am not sure what 2K is - here in Canada/USA we 2 part urethane clears are the typical

Attachments

• 20200708_100748 (2).jpg
    20200708_100748 (2).jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 44

vibrac

VOC Member
It specifically says in capitals
"CLEAR CELLULOSE AND SINGLE PACK ACRYILIC SPRAYS WILL CAUSE THE TRANSFER TO SHRINK"
I emphasise that these are not the instructions specifically given by Vincent spares but they are for water slide transfers so I have followed them

kieronsykes

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Sadly, my latest effort ended up the same - full week before applying decals, used Solvaset dope to affix, let dry another 2-3 days, then 1 light coat urethane clear, let set up and the then final 2 coats. Looked great for about 2 days, then as you say the bubbles started and does not look good now.

I wondering about using the gold leaf size as an adhesive first. But I am still thinking the decal material itself is reacting to the paint.

Where do you source the vinyl decals?

I am not sure what 2K is - here in Canada/USA we 2 part urethane clears are the typical
2K = 2 part i.e. Product (ClearCost) + Hardner
I buy the vinyl decals from either classictransfers.co.uk or from http://www.bike-stickers.com/homepage.htm (the latter lately as classic transfers have staff who are off ill).