Advice on adjusting the tappets?

BlackLightning998

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi All,

The Tanks's off the Rapide to do a list of small jobs, it's done 2500 miles running in distance now and I thought that checking the tappets would be sensible.

I've read Riders Handbook, Richardson and KTB - unfortunately for me there is not a Haynes Manual with step by step guides. I've read Another Ten Years and whilst a totally fascinating read, basic stuff like this (I guess) doesn't appear.

Don't all laugh at once but anyone willing to give me some guidance on how to go about setting'adjusting the tappets - I think it's TDC on each cylinder - plug out and use a wooden feeler to find it and then adjust whilst cold. Rather not do any damage though.

However, mechanical prowess is not one of my stronger points so thought I would check with those in the know before I contemplate starting?

Regards

Stuart

PS We should think about setting up night classes in basic Vincent Maintenance - I'd be first student...

John Appleton

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi All,

anyone willing to give me some guidance on how to go about setting'adjusting the tappets - I think it's TDC on each cylinder - plug out and use a wooden feeler to find it and then adjust whilst cold.

Regards

Stuart

Hi stuart , we must stop meeting like this---:) yes you are correct as far it goes , but it must be T.D.C. on compression . The actual setting varies according to who it is telling the story . Some say tighten until you can just rotate the push rod . Others say until there is no perceptible play .
Me , I screw them down until they feel right , but then I have spent the last 46 years building all types of engines for a living so I would not suggest you try my method but either of the above methods is O.K.
John