Misc: Everything Else Advice needed--what is the order of operations for re-commissioning a Series B that has not run for 2yrs?

Somer

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
When I found sleepers, I'd usually go ahead and clean the carbs. 90% of the time they lit off. Better than backfiring and "lighting up".

Nigel Spaxman

VOC Member
I often find when I re start some of my own bikes after a few years sleep that the spark plugs don't work well. I fix them by heating them up with a propane torch. I try to heat up the center electrode and the porcelain. The side electrode usually ends up glowing red. I put them back in when they are still warm and this makes the bike much easier to start.

Mark Stephenson

Non-VOC Member
Folks
Love your advise. What would be the order of operations for reviving a '50 Series B that previously was in top order, but has not run in 2yrs? I am the soon to be proud new owner and looking to get this bike back on the road. I have read Paul Richardson's Vincent and Know thy Beast and don't see anything on this topic?

Thx Mark

Got the bike running and went for a brief ride. So fun. Question. I want to replace the current spark plugs but my spark plug extractor is "normal" size, but he plugs on the bike are a smaller size? Any one know what size that might be so I can get a proper plug extractor?

Thx Mark

vibrac

VOC Member
Normal! :eek: Normal! o_Oyou cant get anything more normal than a 14mm spark plug:)
The first time I even saw anything different was in the late sixties when Ron Kemp put a 10mm spark plug in the center of his Flash cylinder head to "light the bonfire in the middle" I did not think anything except 14 and 18 mm plugs existed (apart from model airplanes) :D
I believe other motorcycles from "over the water are available with smaller plugs...(even I have one now)
Its a bit like chains and tyres once upon a time it was easy with a limited choice now its just another maze to traverse!

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I had a '77 Chevette with spark plugs that took a 5/8 mm inch socket rather than a 13/16".

Last edited by a moderator: