Misc: Everything Else Advice needed--what is the order of operations for re-commissioning a Series B that has not run for 2yrs?

Mark Stephenson

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Folks
Love your advise. What would be the order of operations for reviving a '50 Series B that previously was in top order, but has not run in 2yrs? I am the soon to be proud new owner and looking to get this bike back on the road. I have read Paul Richardson's Vincent and Know thy Beast and don't see anything on this topic?

Thx Mark

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
1. Fresh oils and fresh fuel (gas)
2. squirt oil down each pushrod tube
3. Remove the oil quill and squirt oil into the big end , you can put a good cup of oil in there
4. With spark plugs REMOVED start turning the motor over till you see oil being returned to the UFM - use the kick starter or better still a set of powered rollers
5. Check the ignition timing - you want 4 BTDC when fully retarded, for easy starting. .32 to 34 BTDC is good for full advance.
6. Spark Plug Gap 0.018" with magneto 0.025" with points

Don't forget to check the brakes BEFORE you ride off

Once done, all back together and tell us how it went.

Martyn

Mark Stephenson

Non-VOC Member
Martyn, Please forgive stupid question #1. The bike has a 12V Alton and a BTH Mag, does this change your suggestion for #5. Also, I note nothing to do with the carbs? Thx Mark

brian gains

VOC Member
2 years and no mechanical issue when parked up?, oil, fuel , tyres, ride, repeat.
If there are any other issues they will become apparent when carrying out this regime.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Assuming pre-monobloc carbs, take off the float bowls and squirt carb cleaner up the main jet, into the holes in the inlet, and the hole(s) just above the Mixing Chamber Union Nut. Protect your eyes!

Albervin

VOC Member
I would make sure the carbs open and close freely. Check fuel bowls for debris and stale fuel varnish. I wouldn't pull the carbs apart unless you have problems starting/running. Besides draining oil tank don't forget the sump and filter. Check gearbox oil level but no real need to drain. The cables may need oiling so check for smooth movement. Depending on what clutch is fitted the plates may need freeing. The battery will probably need replacing if it has not been on a trickle charger. The BTH should be fine. If the bike was sitting on its tyres and they have gone flat then check for flat spots, easily spotted on first ride as it will fell like a pogo stick. I have just recommissioned a bike after two years and because it was laid up properly all of my checks and inspections were superfluous. Fresh oil and fuel two kicks and away.

Last edited by a moderator:

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Martyn, Please forgive stupid question #1. The bike has a 12V Alton and a BTH Mag, does this change your suggestion for #5. Also, I note nothing to do with the carbs? Thx Mark
Yes. With the BTH you need to follow their instructions on setting up.

Take note of the notes at the end of the item attached

Al Vincent has given some sound advice re carbs in his post

Attachments

• Fitting the BTH to Vincent.pdf
    398.8 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
f
Yes. With the BTH you need to follow their instructions on setting up.
Take note of the notes at the end of the item attached
Al Vincent has given some sound advice re carbs in his post
Should you to remove the end cover don't be tempted to remove the rotor arm as the position is set during manufacture with an air gap between rotor and pick up. A squirt of WD40 or similar will do no harm and keep things clean.
As an aside, in the three photographs showing the magneto being fitted to a Vincent twin the bike belonged to the late Don Alexander, a much-missed member of the Coventry Section.