Advice needed for purchase of Vincent next week

PeterFrank

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Owning a Vincent has been my goal for all of my 55 years riding motorcycles. Next week I'm a registered Bidder for the Mid-America and Bonham's auctions in Las Vegas. There are about 10 Vincents being offered. My first choice would be any 998 cc model that's more driver quality than museum quality. I'm seeking general advice for a Vincent neophyte like me. Would also consider a purchase from a VOC member.

Best wishes, Peter

b'knighted

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
None of us addicts are fit to recommend a first fix to a neophyte.

I'd recommend joining the club and attending any club events you can get to. Anything bought in auction is likely to be a mystery and while it may be fit to ride, may need a total rebuild. Buying a machine that you can hear and and at least see being ridden must be a better bet.

Do not discount the idea of a Comet as, although less iconic, they are second only to the twins.

Good luck!

Albervin

VOC Member
Just looking at the catalogue I would say the ex-Dick Busby Series B (Lot 466) would be the "safest bet". Lot 253 seems promising. Lot 146 has a Series C frame and I wouldn't put my faith in the old chromed Bramptons without having them thoroughly checked for cracks etc. Having said that, it depends on your budget and Lot 146 should be the cheapest of the 3. Lot 215 will NOT be cheap. No mention of who rebuilt the engine but it does have a TP crank. Interesting to see the Decker bike there ;-)

ogrilp400

Non-VOC Member
Lot 253 would be my pick. Just right for riding with out having to pay the big dollars for a B Shadow. Then again you can never tell what is going to happen at auctions. The Decker bike, now what can you do with that except put it on your mantle piece.

Mark Fisher

Non-VOC Member
Peter, I too am in south carolina so it is good to know that myself (in Florence)and Motorcycle Mike (Sumter) could be joined by another Vincent owner in the state of SC (there may be others too that I'm not aware of) so I wish you good luck. If I can be of any help, send PM and I'll give you my phone number. I have a 52 shadow which is a matching numbers bike in fairly original condition apart from the club 8" front brake and uprated electrics. I'm not an expert but I ride my shadow most days so I know how to keep it going well, there are several people in the club over here in the US that are extremely knowledgable and I can put you in touch with them if needed. Is there anyone who can post a link to the auction so we can see what you are looking at?
mark

davidd

VOC Member
Do Rick and Patti get back to SC any more?

Yes, they still have a place there and they came through Sebastian, FL last week on their way to Key West. However, they travel so much it is hard to catch up with them.

David

PeterFrank

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Dear Colleagues,
Thank you for making a new Member feel welcome. All suggestions were helpful.
Is there an appraisal source for Vincents ?

Best wishes,
Peter

timetraveller

VOC Member
According to the 2012 listing there are four members in Southern Carolina, with the names Vedas, Voshell, Marquart and Fisher, so you will not be alone.

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Peter,
Have you seen this? These are in WV.
Vincent Rapide FOR SALE: F10AB/1/3021. My daily rider. About 2,000 miles since restoration. All matching, excellent condition. Notarized Bill of Sale. Will post information and photos someday. Tool tray and original carbs included. $50,000 jim@thevincent.com 1/8/2013
Vincent Comet FOR SALE: 1951. Non matching. Excellent condition...all due to Craig's hard work. His Daily Rider for about a year. Titled by UFM. Rare Works Performance dual rear shocks. Original carb included. $30,000. Will post photos and info someday... jim@thevincent.com 1/8/2013 EEverything has to go to buy a house on West Coast... which are all about twice price of houses in West Virginia.