Advertising on our Website…

G

Graham Smith

As you know, our forum is free from advertising (although I did try it some years ago, but it didn't go down too well!).

We have two basic 'usergroups' here - VOC Members and NON VOC Members.

In the coming days, it's my intention to start displaying Google adverts to the NON VOC Members only, which in turn will generate an income stream for the Club.

As you're viewing this thread, it's placed on the 'Members Only' side of the forum, so you won't be affected at all.
Screen Shot 2018-07-25 at 19.23.08.jpg

The non-Members who DO get to see the ads, don't have access to this side of the forum.

However, when it goes live, you may see them for a short while, whilst I test out who's seeing what.

Hope that all makes sense, but as always, please do shout if you have any questions or queries.

Last edited by a moderator:

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
So Club members won't see the adverts? Will the adverts be from non-VOC Forum members?

Screening prospective Forum members as genuine enthusiasts as you do should exclude the usual scams.

G

Graham Smith

They'll be Google 'AdSense' ads.

This sort of thing…

Screen Shot 2018-07-25 at 21.09.10.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-07-25 at 21.08.22.jpg

Admittedly, they're pretty annoying, but it shouldn't bother us, because as Members of the VOC, we won't see them. There has to be some benefits of being a Club Member!

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
As all, it becoms more like FB, i got away from that! as later it will show to all members of course, google guys are smart.
Latley it was critisised over when a non member, trader i think, placed a series C for sale. This is of much more intresse.
To my little opionion we better start a Vincent related trade section in this Forum, where if one wants to place, pay up front a fixed fee, by card no hassele easy, parts or bikes fee. anbd we (club) will get the paypal fee of 4% on a sale.....

anyway not that i know some about it, but i hate to see google adds....

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
In principal I think this could be OK.

Pros:
  1. As a VOC member I would not see the ads. (I find them annoying on sites that do show ads.)
  2. It generates funds for the club.
  3. Non VOC members would have the choice of putting up with the ads or joining the club. (More members also provides more funds for the club.)
Cons:
  1. I can't think of any significant ones at present. Members should post theirs so that we can all consider them.
On a personal note I think that this shows that although our main interest here is old (and mainly Vincent) motorcycles, our committee does not live in the past. Credit to Graham for giving this a try.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
P.S. to my previous post #6.
I run an adblocker. I could not post my reply until I had disabled the adblocker on this page, a solution if you have the same problem.

G

Graham Smith

Last night someone asked me the difference between a VOC Member and a non VOC Member on our forum, and found it difficult to understand that a non Club Member's browsing experience of this site is completely different to what you're currently looking at.

As an example, there's little point shoving a membership form in front of you every time you visit the forum, as you're already a member of the Club. However, when a non-member visits, they'll continually see a link showing them how they can download a paper membership form or join online.

It's simple to work out who's a member - all members who have their name in green are Members. Non Members are in red, but to make life simpler, I've just added a new 'block' at the bottom of the forums page as shown below…

Screen Shot 2018-07-26 at 10.17.39.jpg

b'knighted

VOC Member
Thanks for all your work, Graham but may I add a request?
I notice that many non-voccers are treated as members and members post things on public forums that would better be restricted to members only forums. Would it be possible to have an indicator that a forum is public, at the point of posting. For example if the "post reply" button had a different highlight colour or if the wording was different for public postings. I do realise that the bottom line of my current screen does show that I'm in a Club Member Access forum but I've never noticed that before and it isn't particularly eyecatching.

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
Yesterday I was having trouble posting why I liked what Graham had done and I found my post being very long winded, so I cut it down. After reading Ed's post #6 this morning I think it articulates concisely why I like what Graham has done.
As for Vincent's idea of a trade section (post # 5) I think there is merit to it. Not sure how that all works and I don't want to be putting more work on Graham's plate. I think he does a phenomenal amount as it is.
Steven