PT: Exhaust additional silencer

erik

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
IMG_5801[1].JPG

erik

VOC Member
This additional silencer fits the original one but not the spiral baffle one from the spares company.The end tube is to narrow.But the straight through is no problem from the spares company.How it works I can not tell you,I havent started the engine ,yet. Erik

erik

VOC Member
The silencer is very quiet and restrictive.No power delivery.I opened the silencer by Drilling 60 holes of 6mm Diameter in the perforated part and one hole of 6mm in the closed end. The Sound was okey but I will ride the bike tomorrow.

Rixon

VOC Member
I have been using Armous chrome silencers on several Vincents over the last 25 years and they work fine. The oldest one is still good chrome after 25 years of abuse. They appear so be some sort of baffle absorption type which may have rockwool in them but its difficult to see exactly. Hold them up to daylight and you can see straight through but not the full diameter of the ex pipe. Loud on a single but on a twin remarkably quite. In saying that when I fitted one to a Comet it helped with performance as it wasn't restrictive at all.

Simon.

As I've recently mentioned on another thread, the chrome silencers Armours currently supply are not straight through. They have a baffle plate inserted. See picture.

20200617_140216 (2000x1500).jpg

Rixon

VOC Member
No doubt.

But then you're left with a straight-through, overly noisy silencer that doesn't have any absorption material.

Which is where we came in ;)

Rixon

VOC Member
I bought from armours an additional silencer for my rapide because with the spiral baffle silencer it is to loud. Has anybody tried this before? Erik

If your silencer is stainless it will be an absorption type with sound-deadening material. If it's chrome it will be as per my picture above and will not contain any absorption material.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
As I've recently mentioned on another thread, the chrome silencers Armours currently supply are not straight through. They have a baffle plate inserted. See picture.

Just looked at the Armours silencer on my Shadow and your right it has the same baffle plate which the older ones didn't. I put an enderscope down the tail pipe and the baffle plate is actually in the larger diameter area by approx 3/4" and not across the tail pipe section. Also the baffle plate is at an angle and only tacked on at one side so gasses can go round it. So its not as restrictive as it initially appears. My Shadow goes very well with a bit of a crackle to the exhaust but not overly loud and it certainly doesn't strangle the bike.

I couldn't get the enderscope round into the larger diameter area of the silencer so I don't know how that area is constructed.