PT: Exhaust additional silencer

erik

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I bought from armours an additional silencer for my rapide because with the spiral baffle silencer it is to loud. Has anybody tried this before? Erik

oexing

VOC Member
I´d be very interested in your findings with the Armours type. Is it stainless with absorber damping by rock wool ? That is what I´d do with it if otherwise . I do have some self-modified silencers on the two Horexes - well - just acceptable , even for our MOT testers. But then, there are two of these on the 460 and 600 cc singles.

Vic

DSC00013.JPG
tzit.JPG

erik

VOC Member
I will do Fotos of this silencer. Maybe you can fill it with rockwool?

oexing

VOC Member
Vincent, I had these in Hoske megaphones many decades ago, not very effective and the sound is not what I´d aspire today. In fact, some new Käfer dampers still on stock in my collection of old iron. But no, a straight through with rock wool is what I´d want - and did on the Horexes.

Vic

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
i had them in my old BonneVille...
but threw them out, it was really the sound of a Kaefer...
nowadays i run Armours or VOC ones with wool in them, loud on full swing silent to pass horses.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I have been using Armous chrome silencers on several Vincents over the last 25 years and they work fine. The oldest one is still good chrome after 25 years of abuse. They appear so be some sort of baffle absorption type which may have rockwool in them but its difficult to see exactly. Hold them up to daylight and you can see straight through but not the full diameter of the ex pipe. Loud on a single but on a twin remarkably quite. In saying that when I fitted one to a Comet it helped with performance as it wasn't restrictive at all.

Simon.