PT: Exhaust additional silencer

fogrider

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I sawed the ends off an old standard looking silencer then put it back together with a length of straight through perforated tube, the padding is some high tech ceramic wool. It's non restrictive and has a lovely muted burble. Problem is, I had to paint it after so it looks crap. If only silencer bodies and ends were available in stainless so a proper job could be done.
It's on the list !!
Regards all.....

vibrac

VOC Member
There is another way I discovered when building a silencer (a "Howith") for my Scott. The only complex part of a silencer is the domed ends (in my case they existed with end pipes) the body internal and external pipes of many diameters are available for car exhaust parts purveyors (perforated,plain and stainless) they all fitted snugly together and then the whole assembly was held together with two long through bolts 6mm or 1/4 and nuts. With a stinky old Scott:oops: this assembly was normal as it can be disassembled to clean out the crud and replace the packing. However I think the purists would object to two nuts on the end domes of a Vincent:eek:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
All you have to do is drive nice, My comet was quiet today' If you keep the throttle only a little open !.

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
However I think the purists would object to two nuts on the end domes of a Vincent:eek:

I think one nut each side on a Vincent is OK.

P1020123.JPG