Actual BHP of a Vincent Twin ?

clevtrev

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
How about 115+ HP at the rear wheel? Steve Hamel is getting that much from a modified 1000cc Vin on petrol, good for 155+ MPH at Bonneville. You can see what he did to the ports here. This is the sweetest sounding twin I've ever heard.
You should mention that it is a brand new everything engine.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Not long before it was driven to South America, we ran Dan Smith's Rapide on a rolling road, with a couple of diferent silencers. I don't recall all the details but I think it made about 48 with one and 50-51 with another, on the rear wheel. This with Mk 11 cams, 1 1/8 carbs, and magneto ignition. I do know that I ran it as Dan was recovering from his accident in NZ, and I also know I got blamed for the broken cam spindle boss when he next got on the bike!!

Cheers

Diogenes

Non-VOC Member
Actual BHP of a Vincent Twin

"Would be interested to know if anyone has had a post war twin on a dyno and the power figure it produced ?"
Some info in Fig.23 page 52 of Paul Richardson book 2nd ed.
You can easily calculate torque from the bhp versus RPM 'maximum engine life' curve given.
Stops at 87 mph.

Albervin

VOC Member
Bhp

I understand that Reg Bolton is putting his racing Rapide back on the road. He has owned the bike since the 50s & made several mods to it. Last I heard it was putting out close to 100 bhp but not sure if that was at the crank or back wheel. John Renwick was responsible for this figure.:)

Albervin

VOC Member
Bhp

I understand that Reg Bolton is putting his racing Rapide back on the road. He has owned the bike since the 50s & made several mods to it. Last I heard it was putting out close to 100 bhp but not sure if that was at the crank or back wheel. John Renwick was responsible for this figure.:)