A: Oil Pipework A65 Oil hose

Oldhaven

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
What are you all now using for the A65AS supply line hose? I thought I had enough herringbone style A65 but the piece I have is about 2" too short. Funny situation in a number of ways: The parts list says A65AS is supposed to be 3/8 ID x 9 inches. In addition to requiring about 11 inches, the 25 year old but never used supply pipe A66AS that I am using is .470 OD, the original 1948 A44S at the other end is .435, and I have a very beat up original A66AS that is .445. The 9 inch long herringbone hose I was planning to use is not 3/8 ID, it is .430, or closer to 7/16. It came with matching ferrules and fits OK but as I said, it is too short. I just bought a piece of 3/8 herringbone and there is no way it will go over the A44S, let alone the .470 A66AS. What are the correct ID/OD sizes for these parts and where is the best place to find some? 7/16 hose doesn't seem to be an option that I can find.

Thanks,

Ron

Oldhaven

VOC Member
While I would still like to hear your thoughts about these odd 3/8 nominal 7/16 true dimensions, if I can't get 7/16 herringbone oil line I have a piece of 7/16 OD SS tubing and a couple of spare ferrules so I guess I will bend a piece to fit under the rear intake manifold nicely, use two pieces of hose, and call it done. It's tight in that area due to the Alton anyway.

Ron

vibrac

VOC Member
Anyone yet thought of a backyard way to produce herringbone hose?
I don't suppose rubber is 3D printable yet:(
and dipping rubber pipe in liquid nitrogen and using a knurling tool is a non starter:D

ossie

VOC Member
the old V W beetle used herring bone pipe it was on the shelves in the spares co I worked for 3 years ago.
I can,t tell you what sizes they were though .
try GSF car parts, or a VW classic car parts dealer you might be lucky but as its german it might be metric.

Oldhaven

VOC Member
The VW tip is a good suggestion. Reproductions seem to be a good way to retire. After a lot of looking I found 7/16 ID herringbone hose advertised at

http://www.walridge.com/documents?pdf=2013.pdf

But at $19.25 a foot plus shipping! and some was on Ebay for $95 for 5 feet. I think I will try my idea to insert a formed 7/16 SS tube in my almost long enough piece for now. Is the parts list designation as 3/8 ID instead of 7/16 an error?

And yes you can 3D print a rubber like substance that can be used for seals and hoses. Ain't science wonderful....

http://www.matweb.com/search/datasheettext.aspx?matguid=832e6f0545a24d2b93cc6871570d1034

Ron

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Anyone yet thought of a backyard way to produce herringbone hose?
I don't suppose rubber is 3D printable yet:(
and dipping rubber pipe in liquid nitrogen and using a knurling tool is a non starter:D
Tim,
You're a genious, but use CO2!:rolleyes:
knurl 001.JPG

tatty500

Non-VOC Member
Ron,
I still can't understand why everyone seems to want herringbone hose. None of the original hoses on my B are herringbone. The outer layer just looks lie rubberised coarse canvas.

The only works pictures with enough resolution to show this are those of the twin engine on the dyno and the Vindian.....but this only covers the years 1947 to about 1950, and not all the hoses.

As you suggest the new herringbone A65 is a problem at the A44 connection. The ferrules compress only the herringbone ridges which soon relax. The grip on A44 becomes minimal and can be accidentally pulled off when, say, polishing. (This of course doesn't worry me).

No doubt the works had to change hose supply through the years and I would be interested to hear when herringbone actually arrived.
Martin

Oldhaven

VOC Member
Ron,
I still can't understand why everyone seems to want herringbone hose. None of the original hoses on my B are herringbone. The outer layer just looks lie rubberised coarse canvas.

The only works pictures with enough resolution to show this are those of the twin engine on the dyno and the Vindian.....but this only covers the years 1947 to about 1950, and not all the hoses.

As you suggest the new herringbone A65 is a problem at the A44 connection. The ferrules compress only the herringbone ridges which soon relax. The grip on A44 becomes minimal and can be accidentally pulled off when, say, polishing. (This of course doesn't worry me).

No doubt the works had to change hose supply through the years and I would be interested to hear when herringbone actually arrived.
Martin

Martin,

Thanks for the information about original hoses. I suppose the herringbone is intended to simulate the fabric covering. It just looks right to me. The problem with more modern smooth and chemical resistant hose is that 7/16 ID is hard to find. No problem for the 5/16 return and fuel lines. I did find some black SS over braided 7/16 ID that is probably the best solution, but just a step too far into new technology and looks odd, though my bike will not be close to cosmetically original.

I intend to make a ferrule crimper to help with the grip.

Ron

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
If your looking for fabric covered rubber hose or similar, a 5 minute search of the internet found this:
http://www.viperperformance.co.uk/productsearch.php?xscId=9863

Its described as rubber with braided black outer for oil and fuel and is avaialble in different i/d sizes including 11.1mm which is 7/16". Priced at £16.65 per metre (3'3").

These people also have what looks the same at £11.34 / metre. Probably VAT and everything else to add though:

http://autofittings-uk.com/shop/en/...-hose-1-meter-33-ft-autobahn88-hs026-a08.html

I've never used either so cannot comment on what it actually performs and looks like.

Simon.