A2 Motorcycle Test

J

Josh Smith

Hi everyone,

I’ve been having a look at test centres which can deliver training on a bigger bike and eventually a chance to take an A2 bike test (as I turn 19 in January).

At the moment I have an A1 licence which enables me to ride up to 125cc without L plates, ride on motorways and carry a passenger. I can therefore (in theory) take both A2 tests on my 19th birthday. To take my full A licence (when I’m 21), it has to be at least two years after I pass my A2 test, so it is in my interest to pass my A2 tests as soon as I turn 19. Yes, I know, it’s complicated!

The shortest duration of training is three days, which is apparently for ‘novice riders’. I consider myself a novice rider, however I don’t think I need three days of training just to get on a more powerful bike. Since starting to ride in January 2019, I have covered roughly 2300 miles on my Yamaha FS1-E, 700 on my Vincent/NSU Fox and 4000 on my Yamaha RD125-DX (7000 miles total).

Unfortunately, I’ve hit a bit of a brick wall. The cheapest package I can find in the local area is £540 for three days of training with bike hire, insurance and test fees all included too. These prices can skyrocket to as much as £699 for four days.

Being a student at University with student debt to pay off eventually (although not soon), I don’t think I can justify spending over £500 just to get another category on my licence.

I’ve had a look at trying to find test day insurance so I can be insured on one of my Dad’s Vincents on the day (either Comet or Rapide [they are both A2 bikes]), however this isn’t something that’s offered with any bike.

If you aren’t familiar, the Mod 1 test is riding round the cones and doing controlled manoeuvres etc. Mod 2 is 40 minutes out on the road with an examiner.

In an ideal world, I would like to complete my Mod 1 and 2 tests on the same day so it is all done there and then, but run the risk of losing the Mod 2 booking if I fail the Mod 1 test (£15.50 + £75 down the drain).

The only alternative I can think of is to pay to use one of the training school bikes for the whole day while I do both tests. That would enable me to get some practice in beforehand, and then do both tests. Even if it was £100 for the day, plus Mod 1 and 2 fees, it would still come out under £200 which is significantly less than the cheapest price of £540 for three days of training.

Has anyone else been in a similar position/has any suggestions?

Josh

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Josh
My son Matthew who is 20 passed his A2 a month ago. He went for the training school option and paid just over £500 and his reason for this was he wanted to do it all whilst home from Uni in August and they provided the bike, insurance and lessons. He went straight for an A2 and didn’t have an A1 licence so was more of a novice even though he had ridden a moped a few years ago. The advantage of using a training school was they held block bookings of test slots and only had to put a name to a test two days before, so no trying to book a test yourself for a specific day.
I suspect trying to do both Mod1 & Mod2 on the same day will be tricky to organise.

so glad I passed my test years ago when it was a simple ride round the block with the examiner stood on the corner watching for what little he could see.

Simon

CarlHungness

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I am gob-smacked and ashamed America doesn't have such tests. Many riders here don't know zip from zap about riding a two wheeled vehicle. I've made a good many of them mad when I explain there is at least 70% stopping power on the front wheel. I've had some tell me, "I use that back brake exclusively." They don't know you turn left to go right and vice-versa. American motorcycle riders should be forced to go through the same process as explained in Josh Smith's post. I'm surprised our insurance companies haven't pushed legislation through. I feel confident Josh could pass any number of tests in a single day. He's had enough experience to be considered a young journeyman.

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
An Alternative, Young Master Smith:
Take some days out of school, work in a restaurant, or any work that pays most. ( lorry driving is out unfortunately....)
When 600 in your hand, gogogo.
And later back to uni.

Don't tell dad....

Complicated system. Just for my reminder...
Old days one got the L and rode everywhere.
Only allowed in your own town though
2021-10-0109.42.016102924687039552501.jpg

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Hi everyone,

I’ve been having a look at test centres which can deliver training on a bigger bike and eventually a chance to take an A2 bike test (as I turn 19 in January).

At the moment I have an A1 licence which enables me to ride up to 125cc without L plates, ride on motorways and carry a passenger. I can therefore (in theory) take both A2 tests on my 19th birthday. To take my full A licence (when I’m 21), it has to be at least two years after I pass my A2 test, so it is in my interest to pass my A2 tests as soon as I turn 19. Yes, I know, it’s complicated!

The shortest duration of training is three days, which is apparently for ‘novice riders’. I consider myself a novice rider, however I don’t think I need three days of training just to get on a more powerful bike. Since starting to ride in January 2019, I have covered roughly 2300 miles on my Yamaha FS1-E, 700 on my Vincent/NSU Fox and 4000 on my Yamaha RD125-DX (7000 miles total).

Unfortunately, I’ve hit a bit of a brick wall. The cheapest package I can find in the local area is £540 for three days of training with bike hire, insurance and test fees all included too. These prices can skyrocket to as much as £699 for four days.

Being a student at University with student debt to pay off eventually (although not soon), I don’t think I can justify spending over £500 just to get another category on my licence.

I’ve had a look at trying to find test day insurance so I can be insured on one of my Dad’s Vincents on the day (either Comet or Rapide [they are both A2 bikes]), however this isn’t something that’s offered with any bike.

If you aren’t familiar, the Mod 1 test is riding round the cones and doing controlled manoeuvres etc. Mod 2 is 40 minutes out on the road with an examiner.

In an ideal world, I would like to complete my Mod 1 and 2 tests on the same day so it is all done there and then, but run the risk of losing the Mod 2 booking if I fail the Mod 1 test (£15.50 + £75 down the drain).

The only alternative I can think of is to pay to use one of the training school bikes for the whole day while I do both tests. That would enable me to get some practice in beforehand, and then do both tests. Even if it was £100 for the day, plus Mod 1 and 2 fees, it would still come out under £200 which is significantly less than the cheapest price of £540 for three days of training.

Has anyone else been in a similar position/has any suggestions?

Josh
Hi Josh,
And you think you've troubles... Try imagining you've been riding since 1960 and then moving to the UK in you're mid 70's with your Back Shadow. I'll be 77 next month and not all in that great of health. What's my chances of ever being able to ride again with these asinine UK licensing rules? Due to back ups, supposedly due to COVID, I'm now on a car learner's permit and so far haven't even received a test date! Yet, if I was Canadian, instead of American, I would have been able to simply transfer to a UK license with no testing whatsoever. From what I've seen with UK M/C riders that have passed all their tests is, they all seem to think they are the greatest rider ever, end up riding like maniacs and, at least here in North Wales, the accident rate is astounding. It's almost the same with car drivers too. One local told me how he loved driving fast on our narrow, twisty, blind corner, 60mph roads. Last year he ran into the back of a Bus! He almost died and said the sun was in his eyes and he couldn't see it... Arrghh! End of Rant!
Cheers, (I think)
John

J

Josh Smith

Josh
My son Matthew who is 20 passed his A2 a month ago. He went for the training school option and paid just over £500 and his reason for this was he wanted to do it all whilst home from Uni in August and they provided the bike, insurance and lessons. He went straight for an A2 and didn’t have an A1 licence so was more of a novice even though he had ridden a moped a few years ago. The advantage of using a training school was they held block bookings of test slots and only had to put a name to a test two days before, so no trying to book a test yourself for a specific day.
I suspect trying to do both Mod1 & Mod2 on the same day will be tricky to organise.

so glad I passed my test years ago when it was a simple ride round the block with the examiner stood on the corner watching for what little he could see.

Simon
That might be the way to go then, and I’d have a chance to brush up my skills and get used to the bike (seeing as my A1 test was just under a year ago).

It’ll certainly hurt my pocket but in my eyes it’s something I want to do.

Time to start looking for a job!

Josh

J

Josh Smith

I am gob-smacked and ashamed America doesn't have such tests. Many riders here don't know zip from zap about riding a two wheeled vehicle. I've made a good many of them mad when I explain there is at least 70% stopping power on the front wheel. I've had some tell me, "I use that back brake exclusively." They don't know you turn left to go right and vice-versa. American motorcycle riders should be forced to go through the same process as explained in Josh Smith's post. I'm surprised our insurance companies haven't pushed legislation through. I feel confident Josh could pass any number of tests in a single day. He's had enough experience to be considered a young journeyman.
Carl,

It is so complicated now. There’s diagrams of the routes to get a specific licence on the DVSA website but even they’re confusing.

There’s 5 main types of tests here for bikes:
  • CBT (Compulsory Basic Training) - valid for 2 years, can ride 50cc at 16 or 125cc at 17 with L plates, no motorways, no pillion.
  • AM (Moped) - taken on 50cc at 16, no L plates, no motorways, can carry pillion. Automatically issued when you pass your car test.
  • A1 (Light bike) - taken on 125cc at minimum 17, no L plates, can ride on motorways, can carry pillion.
  • A2 (Standard bike) - taken on minimum 395cc at 19, no L plates, can ride on motorways, can carry pillion.
  • A (Unrestricted) - taken on minimum 595cc at least 2 years after passing A2 OR at 24, no L plates, can ride on motorways, can carry pillion.
These tests are all have three parts (apart from CBT which is a day course). They are made up of theory, Mod 1 and Mod 2.

This means the youngest you can ride a Black Shadow is 21, but the youngest you can ride a Rapide is 19 (as the BHP comes just under the 47BHP threshold of A2). Very silly in my opinion, as if you have a highly-tuned Rapide, it will compete with a Shadow.

It costs literally thousands to get your full bike licence via the progressive route.

It’s all a plot to discourage young riders from getting their bike licences. There are still enthusiastic and sensible riders such as Matthew (Simon’s son) and myself who want their full licences.

Josh

J

Josh Smith

Hi Josh,
And you think you've troubles... Try imagining you've been riding since 1960 and then moving to the UK in you're mid 70's with your Back Shadow. I'll be 77 next month and not all in that great of health. What's my chances of ever being able to ride again with these asinine UK licensing rules? Due to back ups, supposedly due to COVID, I'm now on a car learner's permit and so far haven't even received a test date! Yet, if I was Canadian, instead of American, I would have been able to simply transfer to a UK license with no testing whatsoever. From what I've seen with UK M/C riders that have passed all their tests is, they all seem to think they are the greatest rider ever, end up riding like maniacs and, at least here in North Wales, the accident rate is astounding. It's almost the same with car drivers too. One local told me how he loved driving fast on our narrow, twisty, blind corner, 60mph roads. Last year he ran into the back of a Bus! He almost died and said the sun was in his eyes and he couldn't see it... Arrghh! End of Rant!
Cheers, (I think)
John
John,

The system over here for getting a full bike licence is terrible.

It needs drastically updating. If you pass your car test, you can drive anything (in theory), whether it’s a little Ford Fiesta or a turbocharged Lamborghini.

Maybe it’s time for a ‘progressive’ approach for car drivers too based on age, engine cc and BHP…

Josh

J

Josh Smith

An Alternative, Young Master Smith:
Take some days out of school, work in a restaurant, or any work that pays most. ( lorry driving is out unfortunately....)
When 600 in your hand, gogogo.
And later back to uni.

Don't tell dad....

Complicated system. Just for my reminder...
Old days one got the L and rode everywhere.
Only allowed in your own town thoughView attachment 45182
Vincent,

Just going to have to bite the bullet and get on with it! Regardless if I take it in January or in a year’s time it will cost the same. £600 is roughly 6 weeks of working 12 hours per week at £8/hr. Certainly doable.

Josh

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
Carl,
I can't completely agree with you. While I agree rider education is lacking here, I also think driver education is lacking. When I hear about proposals for graduated licensing schemes for new motorcycle riders, I wonder will such schemes also be applied to new car drivers? The answer is no. A new driver after their probationary period can jump in any vehicle they please, regardless of size or available engine power. I find it ludicrous to believe a 16 year old is any safer driving a Silverado, Camero or Mustang, than a Hybusa. They are all dangerous. When I think of the insurance industry here getting involved in rider education, I shudder. I remember back in the '80s when the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety tried to get sport bikes banned and limit H.P.. Their agenda was because they were paying out on insurance claims, not because the vehicles were anymore dangerous or that there was any altruistic motives. The push for education and a graduated licensing system should come from within the community not from without. Because it is only then that a balance will be struck between what will benefit the community and not put excessive obstacles in the way of those wishing to join the community.
That is why the automotive industry doesn't push for stricter licensing on car drivers. When was last time GM said, " the Camero Z28 is only for experienced drivers over 25"? I don't ever remember Ford stating you need to be a high school graduate to buy a Mustang. No the auto industry realizes that access to its products is what keeps the industry going and minimal regulation by gov't entities is best for the industry, in their opinion. But people also realize that a level of training is required and a level of regulation as well. But as the majority of people drive cars, the level of training and regulation is minimal at best, the majority want their personal and convenient transport. Whereas a minority rides motorcycles and the majority perceive them as dangerous. So unless the motorcycle community becomes vocal and insists that a graduated license scheme be applied to all vehicle licensing and becomes involved in determining what is and is not excessive with regards to standards for access. You can be assured that requirements will be extremely difficult to meet and costs will be excessive. That is why rider courses are offered by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation and passing the basic level of that course is required in Michigan to obtain a license. What is unfortunate about that is it is usually offered only once a year on a single weekend through community college, though the cost is minimal. If you miss that offering then you have to find a private school, which can be costly and the schedule not so easy.
Finally an industry pushing any kind of legislation on a population is not how our gov't is supposed to work. We are a federal republic where the ultimate political power is supposed to rest with the people. When that power rests with industries, consortiums, and the like that is an oligarchy.
Steven