A single drive side shims

vincenttwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
parts list shows
E76 1/32"
E76/1 1/16"
E76/2 3/32" is this a misprint should it be another 1/32"

Old hand book says 1/32" and 1/32" and last shim use what came out?
Richardson says 1/16" 1/32, and an 1/32"

its the size of the first shim against the flywheel is in question 1/32" or 1/16"

let me know at Vincenttwin@gmail.com

Thanks
Peter

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
When I rebuilt my series A Comet I followed the sequence in an article from "Motor Cycling" that I have a copy of. I have since had no problems with the assembly and it does not fill the primary with oil from the engine.
It states in order:

1/16" washer against the flywheel
0.015" chip guard
1/32" washer
Roller bearing and spring
Ball bearing
0.015" chip guard
Bearing cap
1/32" washer
Engine sprocket

Just checked and my copy of Paul Richardsons "Vincent motorcycles" agrees with the above sequence.

Cheers
Simon

davidd

VOC Member
Without disagreeing, I have always had to adjust the shimming to centralize the con rod in the bore. I do not have my notes available, but I would doubt that I have ever used the shim set up that is advised.

David

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Don't forget this is for a series A. The crank is located for centerisation on the timing side. The shim setup mentioned above is on the drive side and has no effect to the crank location. Post war machines though do locate the crank on the drive side.

davidd

VOC Member
I do realize that it is opposite to the C, but I have found on the C that the shim set up on the timing side, which has no effect on crank location, is critical to the roller bearing location in the race and should be adjusted accordingly.

David