A short video about Mal Hewett.

Kansas Bad Man

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Mal and crew are just simply SUPER, a quick story for proof. Mal and crew were given Liner T shirts one year. the next day the crew gave me one of the shirts that they had made, heads and shoulders above the cotton no pocket T shirts I gave them. first this was a shirt no Tshirt, it was embroidered not silk screened and above all the crew member with beard took it off his back so the team could respond with the same gesture , I ask you ,who would give this old curmudgeon the shirt off there back, answer MAL AND TEAM!!

Gerry Jenkinson

VOC Member
Mal and crew are just simply SUPER, a quick story for proof. Mal and crew were given Liner T shirts one year. the next day the crew gave me one of the shirts that they had made, heads and shoulders above the cotton no pocket T shirts I gave them. first this was a shirt no Tshirt, it was embroidered not silk screened and above all the crew member with beard took it off his back so the team could respond with the same gesture , I ask you ,who would give this old curmudgeon the shirt off there back, answer MAL AND TEAM!!

See
at 17:20

Kansas Bad Man

Non-VOC Member
Thanks for putting it on Gerry, defiantly NO bull shitters in that crowd of fast Vincent lovers having fun and enjoying each others company.
I don't remember us being that silent, get a few beers in the Aussies, well you would have had to of been there.:)

Max

Kansas Bad Man

Non-VOC Member
Last year during Speed Week I called to see how the Vincent's were doing. In that conversation I was told that the Vintage records of the Mal Hewitt and Terry Prince teams were stripped of there records for not running a standard Vincent head. Is this true, anybody know?

davidd

VOC Member
Last year during Speed Week I called to see how the Vincent's were doing. In that conversation I was told that the Vintage records of the Mal Hewitt and Terry Prince teams were stripped of there records for not running a standard Vincent head. Is this true, anybody know?

Max,

It is partially true as far as I know. I think that Mal was protested at SCTA in the MV-G class. I confirmed from someone that was there that the record was disallowed because of the combustion chamber. This was done because someone else protested him. Mal also ran in the Partially streamlined vintage class, but was not protested, so the record still stands.

Max knows this well, but for the benefit of others, all sanctioning bodies use SCTA rules as the basis of their own rules. Unfortunately, the rules vary from organization to organization. Without getting in the weeds, SCTA vintage rules require original heads, cylinders and cases. Replacement parts can be allowed but they must be pre-approved and made to the exact same specification (no extra finning, no beefy bearing journals, etc.) With the head off, the cast in squish band in Terry's head was obviously not stock. Just to complicate things, you can weld in a squish band, but the part has to be stock or stock specification when you start. Documentation is required.

The rules at the BUB Speed Trials are different. The AMA is the sanctioning body. Often a competitor builds the bike to meet one class in one organization. They enter the bike in another event that they did not build for and hope that things go well, but it gives them more salt time and data and maybe a record.

David

davidd

VOC Member
Anybody know what Carb's Mal was useing Cheers Bill.

Bill,

Mal_1.jpg

S&S Carb

Dav

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Thanks David, They are new to me, Must be USA, I think I could see them on an early photo from Max. Cheers Bill.