A short video about Mal Hewett.

Comet Rider

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Is that the same manufacturer as the engine used on the new Morgan?
Hi Ian
S&S were and after market manufacturer of parts for Harley, that eventually got bought out by HD to bring the profits in house.
The carb comes in a variety of sizes, and was also liked by people such as me for a simple draw through turbo system when drag racing.

HTH
Neil

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Perhaps confusing S&S for Buell, in regards to the point about being bought by HD?

Last edited:

Kansas Bad Man

Non-VOC Member
Back in the day , in the 60s the guys running fuel especially nitro were having trouble getting enough fuel to engine. The
float bowls were not big enough to maintain a proper float level. The big inchers were burning 2 gallons of fuel in 8 to 9 seconds.
S / S Hired a drag racer named Leo Pane to develop a carb that would do the job. Leo had already took the carb S/S had made to replace the Linkert used on early Harleys by adding a extra float bowl making two. The floats had been enlarged and the needle and seats were huge. The
carb developed by Leo and made by s/s became famous and became one of S/S line of racing goodies for Harley Davidson. The S/S carb shown on Mals bike is new in design , easy to tune and works real well on Vincents. The answer to your question Bill is no. you are probably referring to the carbs I made for the Mag monster. Those carbs were off a p-500 two stroke 4 cylinder Navy fire fighting water pump. Lots of mods to make them work on 75 percent nitro, I recently gave those too John Hanson . As far as I know S/S never has relinquished ownership
of the S/S carb.

Cheers

Albervin

VOC Member
Last year during Speed Week I called to see how the Vincent's were doing. In that conversation I was told that the Vintage records of the Mal Hewitt and Terry Prince teams were stripped of there records for not running a standard Vincent head. Is this true, anybody know?
Terry Prince has received no OFFICIAL confirmation that his record has been "stripped". His bike passed scrutineering and he has not been served with a notice.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Max are the S&S carbs too big for use on the road, from memory they are about 2" at the flange. I like the thumb-wheel screws holding the float chambers on Mals bike, I wish i'd thought of them for my concentrics when trying to sort them, still I can make some now.