A sad song.

Magnetoman

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
No reflection at all on David Bowie, but I was struck this morning when I opened the New York Times "Top Stories" on my iPhone and over half the 32 stories were about entertainers, entertainment and pop culture. In addition to five stories about Bowie, there are five on the Golden Globes and its host, three on Sean Penn and a Mexican actress meeting with drug lord 'El Chapo' etc.. Stories of lesser importance started halfway down the site, including one about a dam that may be about to fail on the Tigris in Iraq that threatens to kill 500,000 people and another on Iran's ballistic missile program that poses a threat to countries as far away as Europe.

Hey, I like pop culture (and motorcycles) as much as anyone, but it does worry me when people pay more attention to them at the expense of too little to the things that have serious consequencs. Again, though, I don't mean to take away anything from the death of David Bowie. It's just that the large number of pop culture items in the New York Times today triggered this outburst. Back to Vincents...

greg brillus

VOC Member
Music is one of the rare things that brings joy and happiness to people around the world regardless of who you are. And when one of them passes, it is very sad, as they usually bring back distant memories for everyone at some tangible point in their lives.......some good and some bad. David Bowie was like so many others......very unique and different.......something that every person wishes to be. They are something we all look up to, and when they are gone, it is something quite personal. It might not have the impact of the other news you mention, but with most news around the world being about all things negative........this is something to which music is the complete opposite.......Something we all enjoy, which is a good thing. I can relate to this, as I have played in several bands over the years. Had a lot of fun, and played a lot of great songs.......never forget those good times. R.I.P David............:)

Magnetoman

VOC Member
It might not have the impact of the other news you mention, but with most news around the world being about all things negative........
I have over 100 GB of music on my iPod which says something about how important it is to me. If news of his death had come on a different day when there were fewer entertainment-type stories displacing other ones my (over)reaction definitely would have been different. Sorry, I didn't mean to be such a downer.

Magnetoman

VOC Member
It's said that timing is everything. Tonight I was reading the print edition of today's The New York Times. It obviously had gone to press before David Bowie's death was announced because the following short piece with a photo of him appears in the "Arts, Briefly" column:

Saluting David Bowie at Carnegie Hall
It's a good time to be David Bowie, below. He just celebrated his 69th birthday, released an album, "Blackstar," and has a show, "Lazarus," running Off Broadway. Now he is to be honored at Carnegie Hall with a concert...

That first sentence will follow the writer the rest of his career.

Comet

VOC Member
Lazarus, returned to life. It is clear to see that David knew very well what was happening.
So far this week the radio playlist has been better than it has been in several years. I have not heard his new album yet, but it wont be long. There will never be another.

JAGBRUNO

VOC Member
I can't resist posting this, R.I.P. :

image.jpeg

vibrac

VOC Member
I have a very unsophisticated taste in music I can still remember the NME headline "Skids under skiffle" and how unhappy I felt.
I don't have an I pod, (Its Apple anyway init?) my computer has accidently lost its sound card (I keep saying I will refit it) and I only have radio 4 in my car:D. I always say that Rock and Roll died about the same time as Buddy Holly and Elvis went in the army, but in truth it takes me 30 years to start appreciating some music. and indeed during the tributes I must say I started to like the 'Ground Control to Major Tom' song:rolleyes:.
As far as I know Chuck Berry and Jerry Lee are still pumping -but I could be wrong:( seeing them was the only time I went to Wembley:eek:.