A question regarding Comet carb cable runs

Chewie

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello!

I have a request for advice from Forum.

I have taken temporary custodianship (real word?) of a 1950 Comet. The bike is in generally good order, but hasn't been started for over 4 years. It also has a number of overdue maintenance tasks to sort out.

One of the problems I'm trying to address is the run of the two cables to the carburetor. When I received the bike, the throttle and air valve cables were sharply kinked over (towards the front of the bike) as they came out of the top of the carb. This was affecting the smooth operation of the air valve in particular and I was concerned about long term damage to both cables.

I'm trying to arrive at a cable run which allows the cables to enter the carb vertically, but this is proving rather difficult! The only route I can arrive at pinches both cables between the oil tank and petrol tank on the left hand side of the bike, about 2-3 inches below the top of the UFM. However, there doesn't appear to be space designed to do this, as this in turn skews the petrol tank at the front, so it is not centred on the rubber front mounts and fouls the front suspension on the left hand front tank mount when turning the handlebars to the left.

This is driving me potty! I've tried all sorts of different routes. What am I doing wrong here? Please can any Comet owners describe the carb cable route on their bikes?

Thank you for your help! :D

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
What sort of carby do you have? The VOCS sells a nice little elbow to ease the cable into the carb in a curve. The cables should run between the petrol tank and the UFM (oil tank), are the cable the correct length?

Chewie

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
What sort of carby do you have? The VOCS sells a nice little elbow to ease the cable into the carb in a curve. The cables should run between the petrol tank and the UFM (oil tank), are the cable the correct length?

Albervin - thank you for the advice.

Just to clarify - when you say, between the petrol tank and UFM, do you mean along the side (i.e. against the vertical faces) or along the top?

Good question about the correct length - to be honest, I don't know. I'll remove and check.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Albervin, Do you have any idea where they are listed, after a perfunctory look I am unable to find them. Thanks Peter Holmes

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I wrap a long tie-wrap around the UFM just forward of the return bung to keep it from sliding backwards. Then I make a loop with a small tie-wrap around the first one and the throttle cable. My tank and UFM has a good gap there to allow the cable to be there.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Peter, They are listed under `Handlebars and controls` part no HB15
Thanks for the info, do you know if they are suitable for Type 29 carbs, I don't think the top hat of the carbs are threaded, what retains the elbow at the correct angle as it leaves the top of the carb?