E: Engine A question for those running Mikuni Carbs.

ClassicBiker

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I've been running Mikunis on the Shadow for awhile now. When first fitted the enricher circuit only had the lever that came attached directly to the carb and was either open or closed. Later I purchased a double choke lever from Domiracer in Cincinnati and made up a set of cables so I could control the circuit from the handle bars. I've never been satisfied with any cable run I've come up with. That and the plethora of other cables makes leaves the area rather cluttered. I was wondering what of those riders using Mikunis chose to do, enricher knobs/levers on the carbs or handle bars?
Steven

vibrac

VOC Member
I rarely use the choke so a lever is fine for me after a break I find the up for choke a bit counter intuitive but it soon comes back

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
levers LH on VM 28 bit bent, (til i saw a crack coming up...)
but on differnt stubs so the floatchamber is free from rear cylinder, and not on the Piss...
make a picture later..

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
2020-01-28 17.27.17.jpg

Just under the tank

Nigel Spaxman

VOC Member
I used a typical single choke lever made for Amal carbs on a Triumph Bonneville, with a 1-2 cable splitter. I had a few of them around, most people remove them from Triumphs. The Amal lever is not ideal because it is designed to give about a 30mm cable pull. Maybe the MZ one Stu used is better? The pull required for the Mikuni enrichener is only about 5mm. It works ok with the Amal lever though.

Last year my bike was becoming hard to start. It was always a first kick starter. I was travelling on the Ferry to Victoria. I had to kick the bike about 10 times for it to start in the morning and also later to get on the ferry. After the ferry ride I was dreading starting the bike. I moved the lever to operate the enrichener circuit, then I noticed the lever sprung back a tiny bit. I pointed this malfunction to my passenger and she immediately understood the problem. I realized the friction screw in the center of the lever had backed off. For the last few weeks the only reason my bike wouldn't start was the enrichener was not working! I took out my screwdriver, tightened the screw, operated the lever, and the bike started first kick, and has been doing so ever since. I doubt I will make that mistake again.